Silent trainer

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Since my tacx Sirius broke down over the weekend I'm looking for a new trainer that is quiet.

I'm not looking into pushing big watts, I just want it to be silent and easy to use. Must be available in Europe.

What systems or types can you reccomend?
Ride it like you stole it

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Two best and quietest would be Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, or CycleOps Fluid2. Or rather, a CompuTrainer is quieter than those two, but it's also much, much more....
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

bricky21

by bricky21

Not a trainer, but rollers are the quietest riding you can do inside as long as your not looking for much power over 300 watts.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

The suggestion of rollers is interesting. I have a pair of rollers that is not very silent but that could be due to their age.

Which one of the Tacx trainers is the most silent in use?
Ride it like you stole it

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

Does anyone have experience on rollers with resistance units? I used to have a cyclops MAG trainer, and now have a minoura hypermag which is far far quieter, the cyclops rollers use the resistance unit off the MAG so that's rulled out.

Being a fatty ~300W isn't very high!

Geoff

by Geoff

If you want quiet, there is nothing more silent that the 1upUSA trainer: http://www.1upusa.com/ it is good to over 1,000w and is the only product I will recommend.

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I have a Minoura Action Mag roller with a magnetic resistance unit. I can confirm that 700+watt sprints (seated) for 30sec are possible... Also very low noise compared to other stationary trainers.

beardking

by beardking

thisisnotaspoon wrote:Does anyone have experience on rollers with resistance units? I used to have a cyclops MAG trainer, and now have a minoura hypermag which is far far quieter, the cyclops rollers use the resistance unit off the MAG so that's rulled out.

Being a fatty ~300W isn't very high!

on the kurt kinetic road machine 3 clicks down on the big ring is roughly 320watts. can do 600 watts on 5 clicks down, and I'd never be able to turn 52:11 at a decent cadence for any amount of time

thisisnotaspoon

by thisisnotaspoon

I'm not doubting that turbos offer enough resistance (my hypermag is fine) I was wondering what peoples experience of rollers with resistance was. I've had issues with weak core muscles recently so anything that works on stability and proprioception has to be good.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Rollers are not meant to have resistance that is why they never have good resistance as on the trainers.
The trainers are going to be as quiet as the floor you are operating on and the size of the room.

Concrete floor with 1" rubber foam mat would make them the quietest,
Concrete floor with no rubber mat would be less quiet.
Suspended wood floor with 1" think rubber foam would be louder than the concrete floor with no rubber mat.
Suspended wood floor with no rubber mat would be loudest.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

bricky21

by bricky21

thisisnotaspoon wrote:I was wondering what peoples experience of rollers with resistance was.

Kreitlers with a headwind fan provide more than enough resistance for anyone I've ever met. Please note that I have never met Chris Hoy, so no need to explain that the headwind fan may not cover his all out maximum sprint power. Hard intervals such as 30 second max as noted are difficult on rollers, but they're much easier if you have a free motion setup. Learning to ride hard on rollers will keep your bike riding sharper than spending the winter on a trainer imo.

artray

by artray

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH nike airwalks

munchydoan

by munchydoan

Geoff wrote:If you want quiet, there is nothing more silent that the 1upUSA trainer: http://www.1upusa.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it is good to over 1,000w and is the only product I will recommend.

I'll second this. The 1upUSA is ultra quiet and extremely well built. If you hear any noise it will be from your dirty drive train.

shotgun

by shotgun

I just demo'd Elite Rollers with resistance last weekend. Whisper silent. LBS priced it at under US$500 here so I'd think it'll be a lot cheaper in Europe.

http://www.elite-it.com/arion-mag/
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

Burgunder

by Burgunder

Is there anybody who can make a comparison between the KK Road mashine and the Tacx Bushido when it comes to noise? I'm trying to decide between these too, and right now I'm looking at the noise levels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com