Cycling Overuse Injuries

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WinSuits

by WinSuits

I never thought that this could happen, but alas...

Background: In my 15 years of competitive cycling, I never experienced any type of overuse injury from cycling. I ride mtn, road, cross, and sometimes commute, so I average 2-400 miles/ week.

The Issue: My problem is that I have a lump under my small toe's MPJ. This "lump" apparently is not painful during walking, but it feels like a bruise when I run and while riding- IT CAUSES TINGLING AND NUMBNESS IN BOTH FEET.

FACTS: It doesn't respond quickly to a decrease in riding volume and I've tried wedges, shims, and about six different pairs of shoes. My pedals are in excellent condition and I've tried new and old cleats and, my pedal cleat combination has not changed in over ten years. My fore/aft and saddle height are correctly set.

I have seen a PT and a podiatrist. Neither of them ride so they are clueless.

Prayer For Help: Has anyone experienced a similar problem? If so, how did you address/solve the problem?

Rick

by Rick

See a real medical doctor ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

+1 can't treat a problem until you know what it is. Could be a boney spur, growth of some kind etc.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by 2011

Visit a doctor, not the internet...
Attachments
tumblr_lyjs0sXqNo1ro9855o1_500.jpg

WinSuits

by WinSuits

2011 wrote:Visit a doctor, not the internet...

Did that; I got such little information from the sports medicine doctor that I failed to include that in my OP b/c my doctor's visit was worthless and a waste of my time and money b/c unless a medical professional has experience with a particular sports injury then he/she merely is throwing darts in hopes of landing on the correct diagnosis.

I live in a rural area where access to excellence in sports therapy is just as good on the interweb as it is in the "sports medicine doctor's" office; however, a failure to provide productive information and instead submitting incendiary information as your response might well prove me wrong on that point.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Consider worst case scenario, that is the painful lump is a bone tumour (malignant or benign). Be either more insistent with your doctor or go to another one and don't blame your apathy for your own health on either the doctor or people on the internet. You have exhausted any immediate remedy that would be suggested safely over the net. Take some responsibility.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RicardoOre

by RicardoOre

I definitely desired to deliver a quick concept to thank you for the nice tips and hints you’re posting on this forum.