how do i increase my wattage output ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

backflat

by backflat

ride harder gears and build bigger thighs ?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

The two are not connected nesseciarily.

In short, train more.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Illuminate

by Illuminate

TW, I could only presume that your comment was tongue in cheek.
:)

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Just a tad ;)

Generic question gets smart arse response...

OP, can you be a little mkre specific as to what you are trying to achieve?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

backflat

by backflat

looking for more power to increase bike avg speed

swaits

by swaits

Pedal harder!

backflat

by backflat

so i spin my current gear more times per minute.
or ride slower and push the same gearing harder at the slower pace.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

If you are talking about increasing your sustained aerobic power output I suggest reading through the forums, plenty of info there.

Muscle size is not synonymous with aerobic power. The best cadence for you is the one that produces the most power for the longest period of time. For some this is 70rpm, others 100rpm. Although flippant my earlier point does stand, more training to elicit these adaptations will make you more "powerful". There are many, many ways to "skin the FTP (functional threshold power) cat".

backflat

by backflat

so my lack of today's lingo in training
is the tool used to prevent giving advice to develop more leg power.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Ok, let's see if I can make it more simple - what kind of race/event/riding do you want to get better at? Criteriums, time trials, track sprinting, mountain biking, touring, BMX etc etc?
A more specific question yields a more specific answer.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

backflat, please either be polite and concise in your replies otherwise this thread is going nowhere.

Attacking those looking to help isn't going to achieve anything.

And for the record your question stated off as quite ambiguous, so they are asking for more info otherwise they're shooting in the dark.

livio livius

by livio livius

Effective way is to buy an indoortrainer like Kurt Kinetic or Computrainer and use for example TrainerRoad http://www.trainerroad.com/ or ErgVideo (Computrainer) or program training sessions yourself like I do for Computrainer.

darkblue08

by darkblue08

The answer to your question is increase ride length and intensity.
If you want more details, I would recommend reading articles and books on the subject. Your question is to wide to fully answer in a post in a forum.
What does your current training schedule look like?

rockdude

by rockdude

For efforts longer than a few minutes its not about strength or leg power or leg size. Any effort over a few minutes long is aerobic which means, it about getting energy to the muscle. As a former competitive Body Builder who was 75 pound more than now, I can tell you that I did get fast on the bike until I got rid of all that leg muscle. It sucks up the most important component of the aerobic energy system which is oxygen. large muscle mass is like having a lawn mower carburetor on a dragster, you would have a hard time making it idle much less making it go forwards. Where as the same carburetor on a minibike might go 30mph. So the minibike is faster than the dragster.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

rockdude wrote:For efforts longer than a few minutes its not about strength or leg power or leg size. Any effort over a few minutes long is aerobic which means, it about getting energy to the muscle. As a former competitive Body Builder who was 75 pound more than now, I can tell you that I did get fast on the bike until I got rid of all that leg muscle. It sucks up the most important component of the aerobic energy system which is oxygen. large muscle mass is like having a lawn mower carburetor on a dragster, you would have a hard time making it idle much less making it go forwards. Where as the same carburetor on a minibike might go 30mph. So the minibike is faster than the dragster.

that's actually a really example (at least for me)

now if only i could figure out how to make my legs smaller =(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com