Wind Screws Up HR Readings

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MurrayRothbard

by MurrayRothbard

So I've had a Garmin computer for years now and every incarnation I've had - 305, 705, 800 - have all had the same problem with wind screwing up my HR reading. If it's not winter and I'm not wearing 3 or 4 layers, every single time the wind kicks up or I'm descending, my HR "spikes" to 230 or so. As long as there is very little wind, the reading is perfectly fine. Any ideas on how to mitigate this problem aside from wearing several layers to block the wind? Or am I the only one with this problem?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Porschenut

by Porschenut

I was having similar spiking problems with my (non-garmin) heart rate monitor as well. I tightened the strap to be very snug and began wetting down my chest and the electrodes and it hasn't happened since. If you're already wetting down the contact points, apparently there are gels that you can purchase for the same purpose. Maybe the gel will resist drying out like water in the wind and work better.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

probably said already, but i think it has to do with drying up of the salt/sweat contact between the strap and your chest. i notice that if i have my jersey unzipped and descend for 1-2 minutes, my HR (sometimes) will read 240bpm haha. zip the jersey back up and HR lowers to normal.

MurrayRothbard

by MurrayRothbard

I think the consensus is right: it's the dry air here in Denver that's the culprit. In a stiff headwind and on descents, it dries me out and my moisture is gone. Even with the jersey fully zipped, it makes no difference. I think I'll try pulling the strap to the side like that one blog post talked about. Hopefully that works. At worst I'll settle with using some KY jelly on my HR strap. Or whatever the hell it is. haha

bc sparks

by bc sparks

Static electricity build up from flapping clothing can also cause the HRM to spike. I get the same thing with lose fitting jerseys, and especially wind jackets that flap around in the wind. I tried riding in the winter with a nylon wind jacket over a wool jersey and never had the HRM show anything lower than 250 bpm.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

bc sparks wrote:Static electricity build up from flapping clothing can also cause the HRM to spike. I get the same thing with lose fitting jerseys.

The same happened to me, and by now I can point out my Jerseys where I know it will happen when I wear them for training.

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

The same thing happens for me in cool weather or on long descents. I open my jersey, lick my thumb and wipe it on the sensor pads to regain conductivity and everything is fine again. Don't forget to clean the sensor/strap off after training :scared:

monkeyburger
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I had the same problem. Often, a splash of water deals with the issue just fine. Anybody know if bodyglide or a dab of chamois cream would work?

tod

by tod

I used to have the same issue. When I switched to tighter "pro fit" (for lack of a better term) jerseys, the problem disappeared. Apparently, as others have noted, it was related to wind buffeting. I live in Arizona, so it is extremely dry here, as well.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

You may also try wearing it (the transmitter portion) on your back, instead of the front.
It worked for me when I had the same issues with wind.

It is also improtant to, not just wet the soft straps, but to allow H2O to sit on the strap-sensor part until it soaks into it. (if that makes sense)
(you can see when water it on the sensor areas that is stands, but wait a bit longer and it diffuses into the soft materal. This is my experience with POLAR, at least)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com