what do you use for a recovery food or muscle build food ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Milk and cereal

or

quick oats soaked in milk and greek yogurt in the fridge overnight. High GI, good carbs, lots of protein

or

cereal and a smoothie from various berries.

Really depends on what kind of ride and what the demands of it are. In terms of gaining and losing weight I've found I can lose weight extremely fast (too fast) by just cutting down on what I eat during the rest of the day. Post-ride I can take in almost anything in quantity as long as its reasonable and be OK. Dumbest time to cut out carbs or calories.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

howler

by howler

when i upped the kms late last year and wasnt recovering well i bought some of this on advice from a mate. I found it to be significantly better than choc milk for me. ymmv.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

109er

by 109er

if you're gonna go with milk, buy organic.

i use Optimum Nutrition Platinum HydroWhey or MuscleMilk. Both are really good for immediately after a workout. i eat Allen Lim's fried rice after i shower or clean up and stretch. Then at night i take a ZMA and some melatonin to sleep. Wake up the next day and repeat! if you want.
green jacket, gold jacket...who gives a sh*t

artray

by artray

As above, but make sure you drink it as soon as you have finished your ride

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

I am always down for chocolate milk right after a ride. If I can, I also eat a roast beef sandwich, the red meat is a good musle replenishment.

sstefanov

by sstefanov

I am very happy with High5 Recovery drink inchocolate flavour mixed with skimmed milk. Tastes very nice and works great for me.

thprice

by thprice

sstefanov wrote:I am very happy with High5 Recovery drink inchocolate flavour mixed with skimmed milk. Tastes very nice and works great for me.

+1 :)

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

howler wrote:when i upped the kms late last year and wasnt recovering well i bought some of this on advice from a mate. I found it to be significantly better than choc milk for me. ymmv.

Just curious as to how you quantified the recovery improvement? Felt better? HR, power etc?

One issue I have with a lot of powders etc is they are a little light on saturated fat. Full cream milk FTW! (as long as you aren't lactose intolerant).
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Zen Cyclery wrote:I am always down for chocolate milk right after a ride. If I can, I also eat a roast beef sandwich, the red meat is a good musle replenishment.

Pah, never mind recovery.

This, sir, is just generally known as a kick ass lunch! :thumbup:

howler

by howler

tapeworm- very unscientific im afraid- no power meter or hrm.

I alternated between the choc milk and the powder for a couple of weeks just to see if powder was worth the $$. i was doing a bit over 400km per week (alot for me- mostly climbs and steady state) and just felt noticeably better on the days after i had the recovery powder. In fact, i noticed it more in the afternoons after heavy training mornings. I looked at the difference in ingredients and the powder has more carbs than the milk but protein was about the same (from memory). Maybe that was it or maybe its the difference in types of protein/carbs (as the marketing blurb claims), but, subjectively, i thought it worked a bit better.

FWIW, when i dropped back to a more manageable 250km per week, the choc milk was absolutely fine though i dont usually have any recovery issues at this distance.

Elpimpo

by Elpimpo

20 oz magic hat No. 9 within 120 minutes of riding hard :thumbup: !

rOYk

by rOYk

I don't believe that so many of you riders consume dairy products before-after activity. The best upgrade for my nutrition was eliminating dairy product from my body, my digestion system work much better, I feel great without it now. My recommendation, try your daily nutrition without dairy products and feel the difference your self.

Brandonnie

by Brandonnie

i like to use http://www.optimumnutrition.com/product ... p-271.html

i usually take it after a frs to spike my insulin for faster transport of the protein.

also don't forget HYDRATE!

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

@ royk if you had some sort of lactose intolerance I could see this being a huge boon to drop all diary products. But if not what exactly is causing the issue? FWIW, I usually down about 1-2 litres per day.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com