Sleeping in AC

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Are there any studies out there on the effect/benefits of sleeping in air conditioning vs just taking the heat related to athletic performance? A quick google search didn't bring up much.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

I personally have a lot of difficulty when I sleep with the Air Conditioning on. Even though it's not blowing directly onto my face, the air becomes significantly dryer than normal. This causes all sorts of sinus problems that usually don't go away until about mid-day. (6 hours later)

Also - I am a Korean, and there is a lot of superstition about fans or air conditioning and death that comes from South Korea. There is no scientific or logical reasoning behind it so you can ignore what the Koreans will tell you. Koreans tend to be a very superstitious bunch. For me, my nose feels like crap so I don't do it. If you have sinus issues related to dryness or allergies, my recommendation is to find a better way to cool yourself off at night as it makes the mornings miserable. My body tends to put out quite a bit of temperature at night so I take a cold shower before heading to bed and I leave a glass of ice cold water in case I wake up and I'm dripping in sweat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rdy357

by rdy357

I live in the mountains and sleep with the windows open.

When I did live in a hot and humid climate, AC was mandatory.
If you didn't have it, you would overheat during your sleep and would be very restless.

by 2011

Fisherfreerider wrote:... just taking the heat related to athletic performance?

Your body being hot from the surrounding temperature is NOT the same as your body and muscles getting heated from athletic activities. They are two COMPLETELY different things.

You should sleep in whatever climate controlled area gives you the best sleep. Energy comes from sleep. Without adequate sleep, you won't perform as well. So... sleeping in a hot, stuffy house is not going to help you what-so-ever.

As far as air purities and stuff... that's a whole different topic. If the air is dry, buy a humidifier. If you live in Los Angeles, buy an air purifier. Haha

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

2011 wrote:
Fisherfreerider wrote:... just taking the heat related to athletic performance?

Your body being hot from the surrounding temperature is NOT the same as your body and muscles getting heated from athletic activities. They are two COMPLETELY different things.

You should sleep in whatever climate controlled area gives you the best sleep. Energy comes from sleep. Without adequate sleep, you won't perform as well. So... sleeping in a hot, stuffy house is not going to help you what-so-ever.

As far as air purities and stuff... that's a whole different topic. If the air is dry, buy a humidifier. If you live in Los Angeles, buy an air purifier. Haha

That was my thoughts to just get the best nights sleep possible.

CerveloBert

by CerveloBert

2011 wrote:
Fisherfreerider wrote: If you live in Los Angeles, buy an air purifier. Haha

+1

benwat48

by benwat48

Yeah... Sleeping in AC and you`ll wake with a big head :shock:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com