Leg muscles....

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tcr

by tcr

John979 wrote:As for “intensity, style of training etc.... kinda hard to rate,” actually this is very easy to quantify with a power meter.

Yeah I accept that but I am referring specifically to my training here... and i dont have a power meter :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tcr

by tcr

magnus wrote:Not sure how to post the pics up so ill link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnusdavi ... otostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnusdavidson/43837477/

These are mine and im 14 years old.Will try get a better photo.Do you reckon these will increase to those sizes?

Lets not make this a 'lets show off our legs thread' :lol:

Besides it doesnt matter how big they are...

big fellow

by big fellow

Ridley wrote:Depends alot on your pedaling frequence. Those who ride 75 rpm, will have much more developed leg muscles than my 105rpm :lol:

doubt that has anything to do with it - it is mostly a genetic predisposition to developing a good musculature. this is based more so on anthropometic characteristics such as good bone structure, all structures being in the correct place and so on.

the amount of miles you do is irrelevant. look at the miles pro riders do and you'll see not many of them have legs like that. that photo looks to me like he's barely 5 ft :shock: :wink:

they are a good looking pair of guns but remember he has to haul them up some serious mountains!

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

big fellow wrote:
Ridley wrote:Depends alot on your pedaling frequence. Those who ride 75 rpm, will have much more developed leg muscles than my 105rpm :lol:

doubt that has anything to do with it - it is mostly a genetic predisposition to developing a good musculature. this is based more so on anthropometic characteristics such as good bone structure, all structures being in the correct place and so on.

the amount of miles you do is irrelevant. look at the miles pro riders do and you'll see not many of them have legs like that. that photo looks to me like he's barely 5 ft :shock: :wink:

they are a good looking pair of guns but remember he has to haul them up some serious mountains!

He's about 5ft 10/11ish!

Thing is he's a good climber!! I'm no slouch going uphill but he still rode away from me fairly easily on the Colabra climb.

I think I agree with you though. Must have a lot more to genes than anything else. Serious mileage would of course develop these muscles but I guess if you already have the genes this development will be more pronounced!

The guy seems to have a lot of talent, so lets hope this can translate into some wins next season.... I'm definately rooting for him and the whole team. Who knows where he could end up?

John979

by John979

I analyzed anthropomorphic data of 15 well-trained and elite amateur cyclists and found a slightly negative correlation between thigh circumference and functional threshold power, meaning the guys with skinnier legs were the most powerful!
John979

big fellow

by big fellow

fair enough LJ, take your word for it :wink:

keep in mind though that these guys are doing a hell of a lot of mainly aerobic work, and apart from sprinters I would not expect to see legs with high mucular development. remember that theoretically, high cadence cycling results in low force production per pedal stroke and therefore less stress on the muscles. remember - that's the theory!

runners and swimmers are also good examples - ever see a kenyan marathon runner with big guns? ever see a 1500m swimmer with big arms and back? granted, they are different sports with different requirements - I am simply trying to illustrate the effect that prolonged aerobic work has on muscular size.

hope the young fellow does well and moves on! I wish i could climb... :cry:

LJ

by LJ

big fellow wrote:fair enough LJ, take your word for it :wink:

keep in mind though that these guys are doing a hell of a lot of mainly aerobic work, and apart from sprinters I would not expect to see legs with high mucular development. remember that theoretically, high cadence cycling results in low force production per pedal stroke and therefore less stress on the muscles. remember - that's the theory!

runners and swimmers are also good examples - ever see a kenyan marathon runner with big guns? ever see a 1500m swimmer with big arms and back? granted, they are different sports with different requirements - I am simply trying to illustrate the effect that prolonged aerobic work has on muscular size.

hope the young fellow does well and moves on! I wish i could climb... :cry:

I'm hearing you big fellow!! What you say is generally true...... there are of course exceptions to the norm. I suppose you could say Jan Ullrich is one. Now his legs are by no means tiny :lol: and that boy can climb, yes in his own particular style, but a good climber nevertheless.

You are spot on though with the effects of prolonged aerobic exercise. Even Peter himself stated his legs had got "smaller" over the last few years of sustained cycling! :shock: Jeezz, imagine what they were once like!! :lol:

tcr

by tcr

LJ wrote:Thing is he's a good climber!! I'm no slouch going uphill but he still rode away from me fairly easily on the Colabra climb.

maybe your a bit older than you think you are :lol:

LJ

by LJ

tcr wrote:
LJ wrote:Thing is he's a good climber!! I'm no slouch going uphill but he still rode away from me fairly easily on the Colabra climb.

Enter the comedian!! :lol:

I knew when Rich had a go, others would follow..... :lol:

I'm doing just fine tcr.....perhaps a wee bit older than you my friend, but capable of a few surprises myself :wink: I was still second man up that climb! Not bad for an "old" guy 8)

tcr

by tcr

LJ wrote:I'm doing just fine tcr.....perhaps a wee bit older than you my friend, but capable of a few surprises myself :wink: I was still second man up that climb! Not bad for an "old" guy 8)

Hmmm I dismiss it as the 'Lightweight factor' :lol:

Ok now I guess its your turn to have a go back at me cos living in Perth with the hardest climb being 6km I don't even know what real climbing is about :lol:

LJ

by LJ

tcr wrote:
LJ wrote:I'm doing just fine tcr.....perhaps a wee bit older than you my friend, but capable of a few surprises myself :wink: I was still second man up that climb! Not bad for an "old" guy 8)

Hmmm I dismiss it as the 'Lightweight factor' :lol:

Ok now I guess its your turn to have a go back at me cos living in Perth with the hardest climb being 6km I don't even know what real climbing is about :lol:

You did it for me tcr.... :wink: :lol:

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

LJ wrote:
tcr wrote:

Enter the comedian!! :lol:

I knew when Rich had a go, others would follow..... :lol:

I'm doing just fine tcr.....perhaps a wee bit older than you my friend, but capable of a few surprises myself :wink: I was still second man up that climb! Not bad for an "old" guy 8)

Don't bring me into this, I haven't said a word. :popcorn:

rustychain

by rustychain

Most bike riders fall into the ectomorph side of things. They will not develop huge muscle mass no matter what they do. They can develop great power to weight however.

Then you have thoses (me) that are cursed by the God called mesomorph's that get huge muscles and suffer like pigs in the mountains. People can tell who I am on the bike by my calf's. The lightest workout get me looking like the Hulk. Even with low body fat it is a struggle to keep the weight down. I can still win a few races however (hopefully flat) and love the bike. So enjoy as you pass me on those climbs all you chicken leg people :wink: I'll so you on the flats :D

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

The whole leg muscle thing is hard to figure. My legs in mid season are not that different then the young man from team LW. Difference is I am in my 40's with bad knees that limit me from ever going harder then 80 percent effort.

Compare the two riders pictured below. (Sorry about the quality of the second - not enough pixels.) One you know, and one you don't (me). It is noteworthy that I am not even in the phase of my peddal stroke where I would be pushing on my forefoot as compared to Cunego who is. I am also decending and I believe Cunego is climbing. Although my thighs are not visible from the front I can assure you that they are as developed as my lower legs - and yet I ride like crap.

What this proves is that mass and to some extent definition are not good indicators of performance. Cycling is so much an endurance sport that mass in the legs may be an obstacle to some aspects of competition - namely climbing. I have seen many riders with slender legs at all levels of competition who were tops. BTW I spin over 100 rpm most of the time (bad knees remember).

When I was in my teens my legs were even bigger. The fact that they are smaller now and I am just as strong tells me it is possible to end up with smaller legs but better power and endurance. Don't know if this is really possible. Maybe through the type of training I choose and diet. Perhaps much longer but much easier ride - we'll see next season.

Oh and sorry LJ, but you probably are gay. :wink:
Attachments
Cunego.JPG
Legs 1.JPG

mattpage

by mattpage

I don't think larger leg muscles are of an advantage to most cyclists, except perhaps sprinters?

Before I started training my muscle mass was quite large in my quads and hamstrings. Now after 1 year of training the mass has decreaced substantially, but I havn't lost any power or strength. When you look at top riders almost all will have slender but well toned muscles.

We are all weight weenies after all, less muscle = less weight ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com