what do you eat during a 100 mile race ?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

backflat

by backflat

what food or ? do you have with you ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

A 12" roast beef sandwich! :hmm: :mrgreen:

A banana, maybe some type of bar but more electrolytes and water.

You should be hopped up on carbs before the race.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

theremery

by theremery

A weight watchers apple and custard bar or 2....maybe 1 gel and a couple of bottles of electrolyte with a few carbs in it (I use "Horleys Replace"....seems to work really nicely for me).
One important aspect is that you should eat whatever you've practised with .....NOTHING should be tried for the first time on raceday.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

backflat

by backflat

found out at 90 miles leg cramps forced me to slow pace to race losing level .

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

If that is the case you might look into gels with magnesium added to it. Maxim do have a good one like that. Steer clear of caffeine bars and gels those are only for the last hour. As caffeine increases your metabolism. If you use products with added caffeine earlier you will burn your carbs faster.

Sent from my HTC with Tapatalk.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

backflat

by backflat

so my magnesium storage is depleted ?

beardking

by beardking

did you spend 2 days carb loading before your ride?
what did you eat and drink exactly?

I remember these links being informative (haven't had a chance to reread them)
http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2011/08/s ... trategies/
http://nextlevelnutrition.blogspot.co.u ... -just.html

90g of carbs per hour seems slightly extreme to me tho......is dud info to sell more gels?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

backflat wrote:found out at 90 miles leg cramps forced me to slow pace to race losing level .

All sorts of reasons why you may have cramp at that point but the usual culprit is demand exceeding capability (not enough conditioning).
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Tabe

by Tabe

40g carbs/hr if you are small built 60g/hr if you are big? Mostly as a fluid, maybe part of it as a bars or some normal food (muffins, banana etc).

IMHO carbo loading is 2-3 easier days slightly weighted towards carbs from normal food (dunno how people define carbo loading..no carbo loader powder huffin' and puffin' :shock: ).

Cramps ina race are mostly lack of hard training.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I have been a victim of calf cramps in races, which (for all but one where nearly 40 degrees could have also played a role) conditioning was the reason.

The above ratio of carbs per hour is good. Conditioning also aids in how much you need to consume during a race.

Rick

by Rick

In a 100 mile race, I don't think there is any magic food. It is more about having convenient things that you are ABLE to easily eat and that you will actually like to eat/drink so you WILL do it and it won't turn your stomach when you are really getting tortured.
I really like gatorade, so that is easy to find and convenient.
A usually take a couple Cliff bars and a baggy full of glucose tablets (you can get those at a pharmacy or walmart)
I also take one cheese sandwich that is thick with mayonnaise and salt. (yes, it's true)
I try to gulp down the sandwich after about 40 miles or so; when there is a lull in the action. I always feel a lot better about 10 min after the sandwich. :mrgreen:

Tabe

by Tabe

I'd say more aggressive race, then more towards fluids, because when your hr is high and inner systems are working hard and body temperature rises too, there's a higher risk that normal food and bars upset your balance. When drinking more, it must be more water containing so that total amount of carbs/hour stays the same.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Rick wrote: I always feel a lot better about 10 min after the sandwich. :mrgreen:

I've never been in a 100 mile race where a sandwich was something you would be able to eat.

Which begs the question of the OP, what sort of intensity are we talking here??

Rick

by Rick

It is actually a lot easier to take bites out of a moist sandwich than it is to unwrap a Cliff bar or a powerbar!

(You don't have to eat the sandwich in one gulp) :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com