Racing with a power meter. Link to my latest tt.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Ok. Cool, thanks. Have downloaded the xls, will try it out. :)
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Have a read of Alex's blog below, the rider he coached was sub 0.2.

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2009/ ... r.html?m=1

I will have a look at the xls above as well as I figure I must be around 0.22 or so given my decent speed with crappy power ;)
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Please let me know if you have questions. One thing I'd like to add is that now that I included entrance and exit speeds, you use a shorter segment and do more "laps" if that suits you better. Mine have been ~.5 miles.

Sorry it's in absurd US units for people who live elsewhere. If you want, I don't think it would be hard to edit it.

I know of a few normal sized amateur riders on road TT bikes who are under .20 for CdA. Most people who are serious about optimizing their speed and are not too large can get under .23. We have an advantage over some pros actually because we can use any equipment we wish... but then there are the $$$ required...
formerly rruff...

JamieL

by JamieL

Mine from the weekend:

http://www.strava.com/activities/75387458

New bike - Canyon speedmax set up in exactly the same way as my previous bike (Planet X stealth) with same wheels - Tri-spoke and corima disc.
I have been using the Aerolab analysis for some time on my Planet X and i have always found a range of 0.22-0.23. The first ride on the Canyon and i'm under 0.2. Is it possible that this is due to just the frame?

JamieL

by JamieL

Canyon told me it was the same as before and I've just measured everything myself - the saddle is 1cm further back than before otherwise identical. Stack = 580mm, Reach = 500mm
Same wheels, same tires, same skinsuit and same hat.

Pretty pleased with the RoI really :)

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

JamieL wrote:I have been using the Aerolab analysis for some time on my Planet X and i have always found a range of 0.22-0.23. The first ride on the Canyon and i'm under 0.2. Is it possible that this is due to just the frame?

Maybe... which Planet X?

Also, can you give me some info so I can analyze your race? Total weight, PM type, tires and tubes, road surface condition, traffic frequency and relation to you... I think that is it.
formerly rruff...

JamieL

by JamieL

If you want to have some fun...

here's a 50mile TT i did on the same course on my old bike:
http://www.strava.com/activities/59185197

Both days were slightly damp - a bit of rain in the air but no more - and both days were windy but from opposite directions - the course is pretty open so not sure it should make too much of a difference.
Only real difference i can find is a 5C temperature difference between the two.

I weigh 63kg, using a Power2Max with Doval rings and am on Challenge Criterium tubs.

In both cases the road was medium busy but it is a dual carriageway so the cars tend to give you a lane to yourself. Road surface is so-so.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Just looking at 2 runs over the same segment for each, I get .204 for your new bike and .231 for the old one.

That's huge. Which PX frame was it? Any other parts or clothing changed?
formerly rruff...

JamieL

by JamieL

PX stealth. Same hat, same overshoes, same skinsuit, same cranks...the whole lot. Maybe the Canyon is just awesome :D i'm trying to track down a picture from this weekend for comparison