HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:31 pm 
Administrator

This is the profile from a tt I did the other night. Some of the facts are this was done on a Scott Plasma 2 with 3T Brezza bars, H3 in front and a disc in back. I have only had two weeks training on this bike ( 4 rides) and if was allot different position then my old tt bike. Also while I'm in shape but not peak race shape. Also note the heart rate at the end of the tt on the graph and keep in mid I'm 55 years old.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173942765" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Feel free to share your races for some feedback on this post!

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm 

Looks like the flattest, straightest road in the universe. Perfect for TTing!

Nice work at the end there- I can almost feel your pain.

Your average cadence was quite low for a TT, no?

Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:58 pm 

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm 

At 55 - I'd be happy to keep that cadence.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:25 pm 

Great effort. Judging by your HR it looks like you weren't holding anything back. Any wind at all?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:48 pm 
Administrator

77F and a 12 to 14 MPH wind out of the west. I did have nothing left after I pedaled over the finish line. 196 bpm is definitely my Max heart rate. Especially at my age! :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:55 pm 

Nice work! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:50 am 

Yep, nice TT. Are you a triathlete ? I think that cadence is perfect for triathlete TT (and obviously fine anyway).

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 am 

1. Reduce the variance! 40w on such a smooth flat course is too much! it gets even worse after the turn. on a course like that just dial into a natural cadence ( whatever that is for you.) and pick a gear which gives you the right output, and focus on holding it!

2. Start slow finish-fast you can't hold 320w for 20min so start just below 20min threshold more likely to be 290-295 and then nail the last two miles!

3. You are lucky to have such flat courses! the "flat/fast" ones near me in the UK have at least 100m(330ft) of elevation change in them.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:50 am 

I'm jealous of this course, so flat!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:45 am 
Administrator

Machinenoise wrote:
1. Reduce the variance! 40w on such a smooth flat course is too much! it gets even worse after the turn. on a course like that just dial into a natural cadence ( whatever that is for you.) and pick a gear which gives you the right output, and focus on holding it!

2. Start slow finish-fast you can't hold 320w for 20min so start just below 20min threshold more likely to be 290-295 and then nail the last two miles!

3. You are lucky to have such flat courses! the "flat/fast" ones near me in the UK have at least 100m(330ft) of elevation change in them.

The issue with keeping a tighter watts is when I'm on the areobars I cannot see my Garmin since its on the stem. What I do is set high and low alarms and just listen and adjust when I hear the alarm go off. I either need to figure out how to tighten the range or figure out were I can possibly relocate the Garmin and see it when in the aero position.

I would love to see links to others members races. Please post up if you have them. Or even power workouts.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:34 pm 

Juanmoretime wrote:
Machinenoise wrote:

The issue with keeping a tighter watts is when I'm on the areobars I cannot see my Garmin since its on the stem. What I do is set high and low alarms and just listen and adjust when I hear the alarm go off. I either need to figure out how to tighten the range or figure out were I can possibly relocate the Garmin and see it when in the aero position.

I would love to see links to others members races. Please post up if you have them. Or even power workouts.

If using the 500 try mounting it on the junction between the stem and aerobars. This should give it a 45 degree angle facing towards you. Like so:

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:54 pm 

Juanmoretime wrote:
this was done on a Scott Plasma 2 with 3T Brezza bars, H3 in front and a disc in back. I have only had two weeks training on this bike ( 4 rides) and if was allot different position then my old tt bike.

Head wind out, tail wind back. Looks like your CdA is ~ .26 m^2, though that depends on exactly what the wind speed and direction were.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:17 pm 

Great job. Nice wattage and cadence.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:49 pm 

Juanmoretime wrote:
Machinenoise wrote:

Being able to see the numbers is a big issue! TTing is my forte, but for less than an hour I work on feel ( mainly cos is prefer to use a disc and can't afford to upgrade from a wired PT..) I've created many mounts out of spare bits and bobs +cable ties between the aero bars for testing training and 50mile TTs. Anything to get the garmin in eyeline will work.

Will be doing quite a few 10mile TTs in the next few weeks for testing new positions so will try to post them. I'm sure they will break my rules, but at 10mile level you can bend the rules a little over little rises and head windy sections once you know what you are capable of with very smooth power delivery. I will try and post them anyway!

Oh and finally being 55 is no excuse, my coach is about that age and can still put out 340-350w FTP. :) He finds it hilarious to kick 20 something year olds backsides on the local chaingangs!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 pm 
Administrator

rchung wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:
this was done on a Scott Plasma 2 with 3T Brezza bars, H3 in front and a disc in back. I have only had two weeks training on this bike ( 4 rides) and if was allot different position then my old tt bike.

Head wind out, tail wind back. Looks like your CdA is ~ .26 m^2, though that depends on exactly what the wind speed and direction were.

Very interesting. Where does this fall when comparing to other riders.

I guess maybe posting pictures from the side and front in an Aero position?

Posted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:55 pm 

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next