Gaining weight but don't know how

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rustychain

by rustychain

My speculation was based on "scant evidence" was based on his issues with sugar. It was meant to offer a line of inquiry for the OP, not a diagnosis. Read my first post about what is needed to provide a proper opinion.

Let me sum up the glycemic index in a overly simple fashion. When your blood sugars are high any extra calories will be stored for later use as fat. A diet that involves lots of simple carbs has your blood sugars rising and falling all day. Leads to low energy at different times of the day and will increase weight gain even if eating the same amount of calories and exercise. It also leads to feeling hungry that can lead to over eating as well. This is but one aspect of why the calories in calories out suggestion is to simplistic.

As to my weight, I am a mesamorph. My natural state is to build muscle quickly and is not ideal for some aspects of cycling. If I lift weights at all I end up looking like the Hulk. On the other hand my leg muscles are about as big as they get and this does provide me some advantage (high wattage) useful in say a typical American style crit. It is true I put on a few pound this winter after going from 250 miles a week to zero after a bad crash that left me with broken bones. Oh, I then had a foot injury that left me in a boot for a month. Yes the extra fat came off quickly. I prefer to focus on percentage of body fat then to weight. I am currently at 11 percent body fat, my racing goal is around 10 percent maybe 9. At age 56 much below that and I don't do well (this is only relevant to my body and how it reacts and is not meant as a guide) That however is not relevant to the discussion IMO. As I said, personal experience is not the issue. Discipline may have worked well for you but among people that do this for a living that is the least effective advise and often leads to more issues. Diets have a poor record for long term weight loss. Lifestyle changes have the highest percentage of success but are also the hardest to implement. What has been shown to work is gradual changes in both diet and exercise and adding "good" habits the crowed out the bad. This has the subject not feeling deprived and working on positive things. The "you need more discipline" approach results in lower self esteem and often leads to the opposite result. More eating. You see eating issues are emotional issues. People eat when upset, bored, feeling depressed, or to overcome other needs in their life.

My big concern on this board is with eating disorders. Nobody wants to talk about it. It is a major health issue with cyclist. Fitness and health are not always served by extreme weight loss. I remember the famous pic of the Chicken with his shirt off. This has become a model for some on how they think they need to be. Some of the advice I hear and the overall goals of some posters frankly scare me in this regard. This is another reason for working with a pro

FYI I became a certified health and nutrition counselor after loosing my mother, sister and brother to diabetes. My father is currently bed ridden as the results of diabetes. I will not go into details but will say that healthy eating is about more then winning races. It's about your life
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Somatotypes Rusty? I thought that junk science went the way of "muscle converting to fat".

I concur regarding some dietary advice, often centred around "looking pro" rather than "performing pro".

But I disagree regarding Willpower. That is a phenomenal things and can achieve much, the willpower to educate one's self about their own body being a very good thing indeed.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Start my using an accurate tracker. I thought that I was eating great and then I tracked my averages for a few weeks. Far too much protein, far too little carbs, and I was breaking even or actually positive on calories some days. Meanwhile a teammate of mine eats far worse and has lost 15 lbs this season, but he's simply able to control his overall balance more and doesn't overeat things that don't contribute to what he needs to perform well in his races- protein and excess fat.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

rustychain

by rustychain

Of course you disagree tapeworm, your received your training in nutrition where? You have worked in the field for how long? How many client do you see a year? Your training in counseling is from.....oh never mind. Frankly with your track record of misinformation, cherry picking facts, and total bogus and misdirected arguments I will offer your disagreement as supporting evidence of my statements. I know you think your an expert on every subject and wish you all the best in your continual delusions of grandeur

The fact are available for anyone to research, I suggest they do so. I would be pleased for those that doubt to do their own research and educate themselves from reliable sources. Bottom line is your health will be the better for it. Tapeworm is a classic reason for people to seek professional advice in matters of health and training and avoid "internet experts"

some leads to recognized researchers in the field as well as the Livestrong link that is relevant IMO
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... nford.edu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/departments/nutrition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://nutrition.med.harvard.edu/webcast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.livestrong.com/article/26159 ... t-loss/and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

why you should not take any one study as gospel (or why I don't listen to the cherry pickers)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=6759000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

again I still suggest a face to face with a trained professional
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Well, since you asked nicely rusty...

Have had training from:-
Australian Strength Conditioning Association
Cycling Australia
AIS
Fitness Institue of Australia

Been coaching since 2004 for a variety of things, some sport related, some not. I do not recall the immediate number of people I've coached but about can name 30 which I've had more than a years involvement with. Some riders I've coached are/were semi-pros.

What's your history and background?

Your biases against me seem to be personal and not rooted in any real basis. The fact you cannot manage anything more than a personal attack eg: "Same old crap, Tapeworm, you're wrong again! Because......[no reason provided]") and use disproven knowledge would lend to this (see above: somatotypes).

I am cognisant of the fact that the world of physiology things change regularly, and I am more than happy to admit that. If you actually bother to read what I post rather than pre-forming an opinion you may have noticed that.

If you would like to point out where I've been blatantly wrong with dietary advice please let me know with any sort of supporting evidence and I'll read it without bias. Always willing to learn mate.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."

KWalker

by KWalker

What is your exact training? Degree? Seminars? Workshops?
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Brochures mainly. Maybe the odd pamphlet.

That's about as much personal info I am going to divulge on teh interwebz about my training, qualifications etc, same reason I don't use my real name.

artray

by artray

Tapeworm are you Chris Carmichael ?

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Shhhhhh! It's a secret.

KWalker

by KWalker

Tapeworm wrote:Brochures mainly. Maybe the odd pamphlet.

That's about as much personal info I am going to divulge on teh interwebz about my training, qualifications etc, same reason I don't use my real name.

cop outs.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Sensible, is what I would say.

If you want to put up your name, workplace and training etc etc then fill your boots.

KWalker

by KWalker

I'm not a professional cycling coach, but when I discuss things related to my field I have 0 problem providing the necessary background information and qualifications. I'm not defaming anyone, disclosing sources without their permission, or saying anything that would harm my reputation so it doesn't matter.

People obviously do not take you seriously on here because a lot of things you post are incomplete, out of context, and sometimes outdated, however, if you had some interesting qualifications or some kind of formidable and demonstrative record then I think ears would perk up fast. I know mine would.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

devinci

by devinci

well people are pretty much free to believe or not what other posters write on the forum. If someone doesnt want to reveal personnal information, it up to them, and they probably have good reason not to do so.

FWIW, I think Tape is a valuable poster on the training forum, as I find what KWalker is posting pretty damn interesting as well. Not always agree with you but I wont bash only for that reason.

KWalker

by KWalker

They don't have to come out and say "I am XXX", but perhaps listing off quals or certs would be great. Non sequitors and links to studies that don't prove or disprove a point aren't as effective. I'd love to learn from someone that's more knowledgeable and more proven than I am, but until that point I wouldn't take advice from a very dogmatic poster that seems afraid to reveal what basis they have for making the claims that they do.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

KWalker wrote:I'm not a professional cycling coach, but when I discuss things related to my field I have 0 problem providing the necessary background information and qualifications. I'm not defaming anyone, disclosing sources without their permission, or saying anything that would harm my reputation so it doesn't matter.

What did you want sources on exactly?

People obviously do not take you seriously on here because a lot of things you post are incomplete, out of context, and sometimes outdated, however, if you had some interesting qualifications or some kind of formidable and demonstrative record then I think ears would perk up fast. I know mine would.

Uh huh. Apart from you and rusty I think most find interest in what I post, least given the number of people who PM me asking for training help. Any outdated stuff in particular? And I don't seem to recall the huge amount of supported evidence in your posts either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com