Smart trainer power zone vs HR zone

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

raspaa

by raspaa

I recently acquired a Kickr and I really enjoy using it. I've started to pair it up with Trainerroad....they have been great workouts to say the least.

I've noticed a bit of mismatch in terms of HR and power zones. This is where I'm looking for feedback.

For instance-

Workout I did yesterday evening had me in 85-94% of my FTP for 7 min x5
I noticed my HR during these 7 min intervals hover in top of zone 2 and lower end of zone 3 for the last 2 intervals. The early intervals my HR was almost entirely in z2. My max HR is 195, so threashold is around 170-185 bpm. I expected my HR to be at least 160 during the intervals (sweet spot)...but it was only between 145-160. It's a bit lower than expected. I also didn't feel taxed as much. The "sweet spot" in power did not directly translate into the same zones in HR.

Question is-

Should I continue to do these workouts by the wattage assigned with subsequent low HR?
Or
Should I turn it up a notch in power so my HR falls in the tempo/threshold zones?

My FTP test was done a week ago so I believe my FTP number is up to date.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Appreciate your feedback.
grind it out

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joec

by joec

kick it up a notch, use HR to start with till you get a handle of what wattages you can hit for the interval, note that it can change day to day depending on a lot of stuff, heat, tiredness, hydration etc.

Delorre

by Delorre

raspaa wrote:I recently acquired a Kickr and I really enjoy using it. I've started to pair it up with Trainerroad....they have been great workouts to say the least.

I've noticed a bit of mismatch in terms of HR and power zones. This is where I'm looking for feedback.

For instance-

Workout I did yesterday evening had me in 85-94% of my FTP for 7 min x5
I noticed my HR during these 7 min intervals hover in top of zone 2 and lower end of zone 3 for the last 2 intervals. The early intervals my HR was almost entirely in z2. My max HR is 195, so threashold is around 170-185 bpm. I expected my HR to be at least 160 during the intervals (sweet spot)...but it was only between 145-160. It's a bit lower than expected. I also didn't feel taxed as much. The "sweet spot" in power did not directly translate into the same zones in HR.

Question is-

Should I continue to do these workouts by the wattage assigned with subsequent low HR?
Or
Should I turn it up a notch in power so my HR falls in the tempo/threshold zones?

My FTP test was done a week ago so I believe my FTP number is up to date.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Appreciate your feedback.

If you are tired or not enough recovered from previous work-outs, HR can stay on the lower end despite pushing some serious watts. If so, don't push it to hard for a couple of days. If that's the cause, and wellrecovered, your HR will be much higher the next time you do that workout ;-)

raspaa

by raspaa

Delorre wrote:
If you are tired or not enough recovered from previous work-outs, HR can stay on the lower end despite pushing some serious watts. If so, don't push it to hard for a couple of days. If that's the cause, and wellrecovered, your HR will be much higher the next time you do that workout ;-)

You are probably right that I'm not recovering enough. Thanks for the feedback,
grind it out

raspaa

by raspaa

joec wrote:kick it up a notch, use HR to start with till you get a handle of what wattages you can hit for the interval, note that it can change day to day depending on a lot of stuff, heat, tiredness, hydration etc.

This is what I had in mind also. I am aware HR is not the most consistent measure...still learning. Not new to riding, but new to riding with fancy gadgets and toys ;)
grind it out

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Is your FTP right as well? It is a tricky test to get spot on, so you might be a bit under there. I also find it hard to get HR up indoors compared to when outside and riding. I think the extra heat, even with fans, makes it more difficult. You can always add a few per cent on the TR if you are really nailing your workouts.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Compare to RPE. If power and RPE track but HR doesn't, then that can indicate over training. If RPE and HR are both low then your FTP may be wrong or your PM needs cal.

raspaa

by raspaa

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback !
grind it out

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

jmaccyd wrote:I also find it hard to get HR up indoors compared to when outside and riding. I think the extra heat, even with fans, makes it more difficult. You can always add a few per cent on the TR if you are really nailing your workouts.

You will frequently see the opposite stated as a general rule for indoor training and the effect of heat/cooling on HR. In other words, with insufficient cooling indoors HR may track 10bpm higher at a given wattage than the same wattage outdoors or in a cold garage with adequate fans. Before powermeters were widely available, when HR was all that we had, many coaches would caution against getting a false impression of how hard an indoor workout was, as you could pick up some "free heat beats" and more easily hit your HR target without as much intensity as was originally intended.

Similarly, if you look at the max power on climbs vs. flats threads (which also discuss max power on trainers), there is a general trend of people being unable to hit as high a power figure on the trainer vs. out on the road, whereas this guy seems to be experiencing the opposite, where his legs are cranking out big watts without an apparent commensurate HR response, and possibly low RPE as well (more info on RPE from the OP would be great).

This kind of does sound like insufficient recovery, but it's tough to say without some rest, experimentation, and RPE info.

raspaa

by raspaa

RPE is up there. It looks like recovery was what I needed. Been off the bike traveling for the last few days so we will see when I get back next week.
grind it out

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com