HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:57 am 

Hello!
I'm preparing for The La Marmotte ( french one day race In The Alpes, 174 km, 5000 hm, including, Glandon, Telegraphe, Galibiere and Alpe d'Huez). This season I have planned my training, greatly inspired by Joe Friel and his "Training-bible for cyclist's".
This week I'm entering the build-phase for the first time. That meens, that I'm now "allowed" to do all the high intense training/intervals.
What I'm wondering about is, how relevant is it to do anaerobic endurance and power workouts, when my goal is, to be best prepared for at mountain-event, which Will take between 7-8 hours, and where every of the four long climbs Will take at least one hour?
My thought was, that maybe I should stay with the Muscular Endurance Workouts I have been doing in the base period, because that kind of workouts/intervals is trained in puls-zones which will be more like the zones I will be competing in in the race?
As a bonus info, You should know, that I live in a country almost as flat as a pancake ( if I'm lucky I "climb" hills which is 100 m high )!!
But what should I do, stay with the Muscular Endurance Workouts ( maximum zone 5 a ) , or combine it with the more intense training, even though I'm not getting in to these high intensities/pulslevels during the race?
I'm looking forward to read your thougths.
Have a nice day.
Fyssen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:03 am 

Do the high intensity intervals as well

Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:03 am 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:22 am 
Formerly known as wassertreter

You can emulate the climbing cadence and stroke by running 50-11 or harder on the flat, but the efficacy of such "strength endurance" training has been under debate here recently.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:55 pm 

@hna, ok. Any arguments to support That opinion?
@Wassertreter, I have an old kneeinjury ( jumpersknee ) which still, In some periodes, gives me problems during training, so I don't think training with Big gears, is such a Good idea!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:17 pm 

As I said in another thread, simulating mountains on a gym exercise bike on constant hill for around 1 hour, regularly ( 18-19/20 level should be Alpe d'huez on a bad day), with a 5-10 min warm up, works for me, when done for a couple of months, and then 100 mile plus training rides a month or two before, getting up to the 150 milers if your route is flat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:27 am 

If your knee doesnt like big gears, Im not sure La Marmotte is the best of ideer. Then again, no one claimed it was.
If you live in Denmark, find a strong headwind and ride it hard for an hour. You can also find a hilly area like Vejle or Aarhus an ride the hills hard. Long intervals will also help, like 12-30 min. If you have the money, buy a Tacx trainer that can simulate the mountains. The have a simulation of the last 88km of La Marmotte.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:03 pm 

@darkblue:
I rode La Marmotte last year without kneeproblems, but my knees sometimes don't like heavy gears ón the flat and during a spinning-lession ( i only dó spinning In the winter, when it's too cold ). Don't ask me why, but that's how it is. I live In a hilly part of Denmark, so I ride a lot of hills, but they only take max. three minutes to the top, so it's not the same as riding the mountains!!
I must ride against the wind ( which I realt hate!! ).
Thanks for your answer.

Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:03 pm