New bike, fit critique

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

Retul, bodyscans all a joke. A great fit can be done with a good eye, a protractor, and a tape measure at a much cheaper price.

russianbear

by russianbear

KWalker wrote:Your cadence also looks super unnatural in the video.

Take a video of a 3-5m interval done at your lactate threshold power or HR with views from the back, top and both sides. Only way to tell. Seat looks too far back for sure, height would be fine if you moved it forward. Cleats look a bit far forward as well.

You actually nailed a coupe of things I fixed a while back when I was riding this frame. Good eye!

I might take several videos as you suggested KWalker on my new frame to see what you guys think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

So I missed up taking a video.. I have plans to take another one tomorrow from the front to check knee tracking and from the other side. Before you say it, I am looking for a reputable fitter in the area. Although I'm in a bit of a podunk town for the next few months. As I've mentioned before if anyone can recommend someone in St. Louis, MO let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdLqAVB ... e=youtu.be

around ftp effort

I've lowered the seat height a bit (suggestion from a riding buddy) and my quads have been burning more than before on similar efforts, I think I may have gone down a bit too much. However, I do think I had it a smidge too high before. But I don't think power is down overall. Comments welcome, I realize it's probably hard to get an overall picture with my shoulders/head missing though..

Svetty

by Svetty

Stem's too short. Other than that looks ok now

drmutley

by drmutley

Saddle down 5mm...

edesigner

by edesigner

Obviously you are a pretty big guy. I've never seen too many out of the box frames that have long enough top tubes to cater to taller riders. Your fit right now looks more suited to a cross bike than a road bike. Like others said try a longer stem..and see about some setback on the seatpost to get you stretched out a little more. *I say this not knowing if you have any back issues..etc.

Wow on the squirrel.. I have never seen one take down a rider before :shock:

darkblue08

by darkblue08

You can still move your seat forward a little bit, but only a little and its not a must. I would say the seat is to low. I continue to raise the seat until I fell I cannot reach the bottom of the pedal stroke, then I lower it by around .5-1 cm. But in the end I found that my knees dictated the saddle height. If its to high or low I start having knee issues.

The Stem length and height, is a question of how aggressive you want your position, and what you body allow and like. I bought some cheap stems in different length, to try different positions for a couple of weeks, and then settled on the position I liked the most. Basically the most aggressive position, I could ride all day.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

how long are your cranks, everytime i watch one of your videos it appears that u are pedaling the smallest circles

russianbear

by russianbear

Thanks for the input guys. Haven't been able to do the videos yet, work got in the way.

The cranks are 175mm.

gummee

by gummee

russianbear wrote:Appreciate the advice but that frame is toast thanks to this little fella:

And here's me (broken collar bone, gash in my right temple)

VV I'm quite good already, this happened at the end of May. Still working on some right trapezius weakness though. Got some titanium upgrades (in the body that is!). VV
Eek!

I've had one of them run thru my wheels (under my BB) but thankfully, none IN my wheels.

M

AGW

by AGW

Why do so many keep suggesting he move forward more? Balance is totally subjective and should be what dictates fore/aft.

WRT to saddle height... I think you're close. Your pedal stroke improved around 2:30 as you scooted forward to dig a little. You could probably afford to lower your saddle 3-5mm until you feel that consistency through the bottom of the stroke in most of your positions.

bricky21

by bricky21

AGW wrote:Why do so many keep suggesting he move forward more?

AGW wrote:Your pedal stroke improved around 2:30 as you scooted forward to dig a little.

:lol: It appears you answered your own question.

AGW

by AGW

That's more to do with his virtual saddle height being lower as he scoots forward. He's better off keeping setback relative and lowering the height.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Getting a fit done "virtually" in this manner here is, in my humble opinion, an utter waste of time. The intricacies of bike fitting cannot be done in this slap hazard way and doing such could yield worse results.

Just go to a proper fitter.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG