New bike, fit critique

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

russianbear

by russianbear

Reading previous fit related threads, I understand that it is hard to pin down things exactly over the net. However, I'm looking for any glaring problems that knowledgeable people might notice. If anyone can recommend a good fitter in the Saint Louis area I would be delighted. In any case, as you'll see in the video there's still a mountain of spacers present because I'm still playing around with position. I have only done several short rides on the bike(30-50mi) with no discomfort or pains so far. I'm really digging the compact bars I bought and glad I sized down on them. Sorry I cut the top of myself off in the video, can take another one if need be with torso more visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrMCdcYM ... e=youtu.be

hasbeen

by hasbeen

saddle seems too high. Too much ankle movement when pedaling toe down and knee gets locked out when trying to stay smooth. Go lower, a bit further back, and remove a spacer from under the stem (or flip it).
that is just a quick observation from a trained eye.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phourgenres

by phourgenres

It looks like your seat is too far back. It also looks like you are "stretching" to hold onto your hood. If you look at your leg fluidity after you grip the "climbing" part of your handlebar you will notice it gets better. I say move your seat forward at least a cm - this should solve both problems.

...amateur opinion.

SUCycling88

by SUCycling88

Saddle too high. Seat definitely too far back. As for a fitter, find a specialized shop with BG Fit or someone using Retul and get one of those fits.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Is the front wheel up slightly or are the wheels level?

I'd be interested to see your position on the drops before commenting further...

russianbear

by russianbear

Lowered the seat, moved it forward a cm or so. I went for a pretty fast group ride just now and my cadence felt smoother. I'll take another video tonight sometime, I think I still need to move the seat a tiny bit forward.

Mr. tim, i just noticed, you're right the front wheel is slightly higher than the rear. I am in the drops at 1:07 in the video.

russianbear

by russianbear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJYHYKmi ... e=youtu.be

Ok, bike is level now. I went for an easy cruise around with the new position and it feels a bit off, but I suspect that's just because it's different from before. There is more pressure on my wrists, which I guess is the result of moving the seat forward, does this mean I need a longer stem?

Called around a couple places and one shop has a Retul fitting, for $300, a bit steep. Couple other places have BG fittings for 150 or so. There is also a Bodyscan fit, which sounds kind of hokey and most other shops doing things "by eye".

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Better

Personally, I didn't think your seat was too high before, I definitely think it is too low now. Try putting it somewhere it between where you had it and where you have it know. Before I got fitted I tried to have some eye my legs around 30 degrees at 6'oclock, but during my fit I found out it was 2cm too low!

Also, I think you could use a shorter stem rather than a longer stem. Your elbows looks locked half the time, and you really look like you are "reaching" for your bars

300 sounds about right for retul, but it is an overkill. If BG does kinetic videotaping and judging your position based on that I would say 150 is worth it.

audiojan

by audiojan

russianbear wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJYHYKmimBM&feature=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Called around a couple places and one shop has a Retul fitting, for $300, a bit steep. Couple other places have BG fittings for 150 or so. There is also a Bodyscan fit, which sounds kind of hokey and most other shops doing things "by eye".

Retul is just a tool... you should always buy the fitter and never the tool... Talk to some local cyclists and ask them whom they used and what they thought about the process. Don't underestimate the accuracy of the eye either... a good fitter can fit you extremely well "by eye" and most will only use video capturing systems (such as Retul) to speed up the processes and verify what they see
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Geoff

by Geoff

I'm going the other direction. I think that your saddle height was fine the first time. I might try about 1cm further back. I would be willing to bet you have long femurs in proportion to your overall leg length. I think that your 'high heel' foot position is deceptive.

I believe that the issue is the front end. I think that you need a longer stem...

Rick

by Rick

Just my opinions:
Seat too far back. At least in the video it looks like your knee never comes close to a KOPS position (not that that is the goal, but it does look like you are too far back.)
Also, seat still too high, but maybe moving forward will help that some.
Also: Bend you elbows and bend over to a more flat-back position. (That takes practice).

EDIT: I just watched again, and maybe I am wrong about the seat position. It might just be the perspective angle in the video.
Something looks a little odd, and it might just be that you always have your elbows straight.

russianbear

by russianbear

Appreciate the advice but that frame is toast thanks to this little fella:

And here's me (broken collar bone, gash in my right temple)

VV I'm quite good already, this happened at the end of May. Still working on some right trapezius weakness though. Got some titanium upgrades (in the body that is!). VV
Last edited by russianbear on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Get better soon!

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

I'd say too far back but not too high,

Gravity center should move quite more forward on the bike, you need a longer stem too

Difficult to say because you are an heavy build and it depends on your style of riding :beerchug:

KWalker

by KWalker

Your cadence also looks super unnatural in the video.

Take a video of a 3-5m interval done at your lactate threshold power or HR with views from the back, top and both sides. Only way to tell. Seat looks too far back for sure, height would be fine if you moved it forward. Cleats look a bit far forward as well.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com