Seeking coaching service opinions.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Don't ask me why as of late I've been toying with the idea of trying out a coach to build me a training plan centered around a couple of events I do yearly. Overall, I want to get more consistent and faster too. I have done some intervals here and there in the past, but found the entire training thing too regimented. Ultimately, it felt more like work than fun, so I gave up on it. I don't race, never have, and have not even the most remote desire to race ever. I ride my bike because I like it, but the specific training felt like it sucked the joy out of riding. However, I do ride between 150-200 miles/weeks. Having said that and as contradicting as it may sound, I do enjoy getting better and going faster. I am beyond the point of simply feeling accomplished by finishing a certain ride. I want to do much better!

I know there are quite a few people in this site that use coaching services from different sources, so I figured it would be good to ask for opinions. I briefly looked into a couple of places online and it seemed like the prices for what it is given/done are somewhat ridiculous, especially when these coaches have no live contact time with you at all. This may simply be my view from an outsider's point of view, hence the reason I am asking here. Also, it could be that I was looking on rather expensive and unnecessary services for my intended purpose.

Questions:

1. What is an average price to expect for these coaching services?

2. Is this the type of service that you do for a couple of months and then just continue on your own from there once a plan has been formulated for a year's time based on the events you want to do?

3. Any regrets about them?

4. Any particular recommendations or what to avoid?

5. What would you do differently knowing what you know now if you were to start with a coach service?

Thanks in advance for the education!! :beerchug:

dgasmd

by dgasmd

WOW, tough crowd. 80+ views and not a single word. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I can talk about my friend. He is coached through fascat coaching.

He pays 150/month...pricing levels are on their site. He likes the structure and accountability. Apparently his coach has him test every 3 weeks, so he can figure out if his levels need to be readjusted. His coach also adjusts his plan if he is unable to meet his power expectations that are set out for him. I guess if you become atune to a pattern in the way they setup the plan you could probably just do it a short while. I would think you would have to do it at least a year, because he doesn't give him the same workout every month. In the winter months he had him on mostly zone 2 riding, now as race season is coming near he is adding more zone 4-6.

They have this plan where if you setup your own routine, they will critque and adjust it. It's only 50 dollars. That is what I was tempted to do (since I can't afford 150/month).

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Just a bit of general advice, if you don't like structured training, you probably won't get on very well using a coach. The whole idea of using a coach is to approach training in a properly structured way.
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?