SRM wired powermeter?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

phourgenres

by phourgenres

I found a dura ace 7800 SRM wired powermeter pretty cheap, and I'm not sure if it's worth the extra 400 to go wireless. Does anyone have any reason I shouldn't go "wired" with an SRM (besides a wire strung across your downtube)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Whoops, wrong forum. Can I please be moved to "Cycling Chat." Please and Thank You.

mentok

by mentok

I wouldn't say don't do it but there are some important considerations:

The pcv head units are getting old now so repair or replacement could be an expensive process.
Integrating the pcv power data with GPS from your garmin is practically impossible
You may have compatibility issues with your computer if you're a Mac or on Linux.

If none of these issues matter then go for it.

phourgenres

by phourgenres

Hmm.. never thought about synching. Thanks.

I noticed the seller didn't include a HRM. Guess I will have to call SRM tomorrow to see whether there are compatible HRM's. Otherwise, I guess I would have to run Heart Rate and Power on two separate computers.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

-PCV works with coded Polar HR strap.
-PCV sync up with PC perfectly. I use Mac and runs VMWare Fusion+Windows and downloading has never been a problem. You just need to download and install free firmware from SRM.
-The cost of getting wired and wireless system serviced @ SRM service center the is exactly the same. The service center has plenty of parts to keep the unit going for a long time.
-Wired is somehow more reliable than wireless. Somehow wireless version is little finicky.

mentok

by mentok

ipenguinking wrote:-PCV works with coded Polar HR strap.

depends on the model of PCV - some work with old style analog HRMs afaik. i think they're differentiated by a mark on the back (not sure exactly, i just recall reading something along these lines here or on wattage/st/rbr or somewhere like that). if you need a new PCV they come up from time to time on fleabay for USD200-300 or can be had new direct from SRM or from places like cyclepowermeters for USD700 (i think). if you needed one desperately then you could always buy a complete system from fleabay for USD500ish and then sell the crank only or keep some spares.

overall, i think it's still quite a viable option - i run a quarq on my roadie because i want GPS data and garmin integration (basically, i love playing strava, there's no other reason to have it in all honesty) but i use a wired SRM Professional on my track bike which is about 10 years old and it still works fine.

Dustin

by Dustin

ipenguinking wrote:-Wired is somehow more reliable than wireless. Somehow wireless version is little finicky.

No interference from outside signals. ANT+, as nice as it is, still gets the signals crossed sometimes.

Which is why I prefer wired.

GZA

by GZA

With wireless you get to choose a CPU which can report NP, IF, TSS if that matters to you. Little point in a HRM strap when you have power but that's a whole other thread!

mentok

by mentok

OT: GZA, did those SRM track arms eventually make their way to you?

Chiva

by Chiva

Little point in a HRM strap when you have power but that's a whole other thread![/quote]

+1

phourgenres

by phourgenres

While I hardly ever use my HRM (since I have power currently), I do believe it really helps in determining fatigue levels and your aerobic base.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Wired is still a valid option and as other have said certain coded HR straps still work with the PCV... and actually I think the PCVI maybe backwards compatible with the wired SRMs, though I cannot recall how well this works.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

Dalai

by Dalai

Tapeworm wrote:Wired is still a valid option and as other have said certain coded HR straps still work with the PCV... and actually I think the PCVI maybe backwards compatible with the wired SRMs, though I cannot recall how well this works.

Would be good if they were. But I think it was the other way around - the first wireless cranks could use a wired pick up and PCV...

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Ah, maybe that's what I was thinking about then.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

The PCV works with the uncoded version of the Polar HR. You can buy them cheaply anywhere.

Other than price, the best thing about the wired SRM is it's reliability. It never fails. There is no data corruption or loss and it is pretty much invulnerable to normal environmental conditions. The bad thing about the wired SRM is the battery life of the PCV. As compared to the PCIV, it sucks. The new replacement battery is better, but it still isn't as good as the old PCIV and not like the PC7. The solution is to store it on the charger, but I always forget.

You can set-up a wired SRM almost as cleanly as a wireless SRM. Even when the wireless SRM was available, for the first couple of years, certain of my friends at Team Highroad ran the wired SRM because it was so reliable. Don't be afraid of the wires...