Power & Heartrate comparison (personal experince)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

is there a relationship [not firm obviously] but relationship between %HR and % power. like im riding at "75%" of my FTP power so that equates to "75% [just using a number] of some value of HR?

When im riding inside on my trianer and averaging 75% FTP power , my HR is like ~150 +/-3bpm probably. When im outside riding rolling terrain veraging 75% FTP power, my HR is closer to 140bpm +/- 3bpm. This is hardly scientific, but for starting questions, i feel like my "75% power HR is high?" also can i attribute the higher indoor HR to overheating perhaps? im usually riding in a room with the temperature set to 70 deg and one fan in front of me, not like industrial strength or anything

i mean over the course of 5 months of "training" i've noticed that after testing and using new values, my HR is for the most part staying the same even though my power value of 75% increases slightly with each month.

any thoughts

by Weenie

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

It's called HR zones :thumbup:

Or more broadly, you can work the same systems with both - and produce similar results.

Only that power allows you to be more accurate in hitting those systems.

Like trying to cut out a newspaper clipping with some scissor (PM) or a hedge trimmer (HR). Both cut, just to varying degrees of accuracy.

At least that's how I understand it.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

or to ask another question, there is probably something wrong if my 75% power , my heart is beating 200bpm. and conversely there is something going on if my 75% power, my heart is 90bpm.

they kinda should be related?

ajmitchell

by ajmitchell

nathanong87 wrote:is there a relationship [not firm obviously] but relationship between %HR and % power. like im riding at "75%" of my FTP power so that equates to "75% [just using a number] of some value of HR?

They are related but only very approximately. Power varies second to second from 0-max esp outside, HR is smoothed and delayed. just look at some power charts on the web. Think of the HR like the accerelator on a car, power is the output of the engine. You can lift off the accelerator and the car engine still outputs (for a while). In fact there is much closely relationship between speed and power....esp if on the turbo.