PAIN Cave Set Up. What's Yours? Photos Please!

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

WR74 wrote:How well does the rollers work with the third party apps seeing as the max slope is 5 %?

Watts are watts.

I primarily work on steady state things with TrainerRoad -- 8-minute, 10-minute, 12-minute efforts (or whatever) so the rollers are absolutely fine camped out anywhere from 220w-275w. When I need to do a spikey-workout (lots of VO2, anaerobic, sprints, etc) I'll use a normal trainer simply because it's hard for me to jump out of the saddle and sprint with rollers. Yes, I can do it, but it's really miserable. When my Wattbike Atom gets here, it'll replace the standard trainer entirely, but the rollers will remain my primary tool.

Interestingly (or maybe not) since switching to rollers for indoor work, my cadences both indoors and outdoors have gone up nicely. I was routinely in the low/mid 80's. Now I'm almost always mid-90's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MomentumR5

by MomentumR5

TonyM wrote:
MomentumR5 wrote:
dgasmd wrote:
MomentumR5 wrote:Where did you buy that TV stand?! Provide info and cost please?

VIVO Black TV Cart for LCD LED Plasma Flat Panel Stand w/Wheels Mobile fits 32" to 65" (STAND-TV03E)

Amazon
$89.99 with Prime membership.
*Easy to assemble and sturdy

Just ordered 2! Thanks!

Why do you need 2 monitors? How are you using then?

I will have a 2nd trainer set up for my wife. Side by side. I bought 2 32’ TV’s nothing crazy. Trying to make the cave a little nicer. Many of these posted look painful. Haha....

jrobart

by jrobart

So I'm in the fortunate position of creating a pain cave from scratch. We are renovating (read: gutting) an old farm house and the one thing I got out of the negation with my wife was a dedicated cycling room.

I've got all of the basics covers (wall mounted TV, Wahoo Kickr, big ass fan, etc.), but want to know if there are things that others have done/or not done and with they had when they've created their oasis of pain. It's a good sized room (roughly 15 x 18) so I've got plenty of space.

Thanks.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Split system air con and no carpet.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

I enjoy having a window to look out from occasionally when listening to music rather than watching some TV during the workout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

My training room for this winter:

my 20 y.o Colnago Dream Aluminum with the 25 y.o. 8 speed Dura Ace on the Tacx Neo.
55" TV with Apple TV 4K and TrainerRoad.

TonyM

by TonyM

My wife doesn't have or need such a pain cave (she use the treadmill in the garage) but here what she would put on the door.... :mrgreen:

WR74

by WR74

JackRussellRacing wrote:
WR74 wrote:How well does the rollers work with the third party apps seeing as the max slope is 5 %?

Watts are watts.

I primarily work on steady state things with TrainerRoad -- 8-minute, 10-minute, 12-minute efforts (or whatever) so the rollers are absolutely fine camped out anywhere from 220w-275w. When I need to do a spikey-workout (lots of VO2, anaerobic, sprints, etc) I'll use a normal trainer simply because it's hard for me to jump out of the saddle and sprint with rollers. Yes, I can do it, but it's really miserable. When my Wattbike Atom gets here, it'll replace the standard trainer entirely, but the rollers will remain my primary tool.

Interestingly (or maybe not) since switching to rollers for indoor work, my cadences both indoors and outdoors have gone up nicely. I was routinely in the low/mid 80's. Now I'm almost always mid-90's.

Thanks, still getting to grips with the indoor trainer (Tacx Vortex). Thought the rollers might be a nice alternative, but I guess both have their benefits.

glepore

by glepore

jrobart wrote:So I'm in the fortunate position of creating a pain cave from scratch. We are renovating (read: gutting) an old farm house and the one thing I got out of the negation with my wife was a dedicated cycling room.

I've got all of the basics covers (wall mounted TV, Wahoo Kickr, big ass fan, etc.), but want to know if there are things that others have done/or not done and with they had when they've created their oasis of pain. It's a good sized room (roughly 15 x 18) so I've got plenty of space.

Thanks.

I like a projector, used ones are cheap and a 100 in image or so can be pretty immersive.

In a farmhouse, you'll want either some sort of ethernet over the electrical system (Homelink) or some way to guarantee good internet access, or end up using a hotspot etc on the phone.

Second the idea of an independent heat/cooling option-my "cave" is above a detatched garage, and I rarely have it above 55 when training.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jrobart

by jrobart

Thanks for the input. I am putting in an air filtration/circulation in the room. The floor will be wood, but will go with a bit of a raised rubber under the equipment (as I mentioned, I have a Kickr, but I'm aAlso thinking of putting an erg in the room. ).
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Nice stuff. I ride rollers in the garage in between the garage door and a trash can. Staring at a refrigerator. No video. no music, no fan, just suffering.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Skylark

by Skylark

wth, just step outside and ride.

Delorre

by Delorre

Skylark wrote:wth, just step outside and ride.

Don't know where you live, but sometimes, you really wish you choose an inside ride. I got cought in rain for 30 minutes today after only 30 minutes of riding and only 2°c. The remaining 2 1/2 hours were a never ending fight to not getting cold. No problem uphill and with head wind, but dowhill and with tail wind part of the ride :? I'm now very happy I went out, but during the ride, I wished a couple of times I was on the trainer :wink:

And if you only have one hour to spend f.ex, you almost can't beat a good structured indoor training!

KCookie

by KCookie

In my case its mainly the heat. Once ive worked outdoors all week in temps of 100+ degrees the last thing I want to do is go out on the bike.
The Wahoo has come in pretty useful so far with the hot days we've had.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

I am just designing my setup now.

Going to go with Kickr3/17, kickr climb, wahoo matt, wahoo desk.

Anyone able to let me know what the length of the setup would be with just their kickr? And then I suppose climb (roughly speaking?) Bonus for those who also have a desk?

Need to know if it will fit :)
It's all about the adventure :o .