Sinuisitis and Indoor Trainer?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3Pio

by 3Pio

Hi there..

Seem that three weeks ago, i got some kind of flu or cold..

- First day: Going to the top of near mountain, and going back (1000 meters climb), and weather changed a little bit.Not so cold, but cold on the top, still warm down.. The problem was i had to finish something after that, and was in a hurry, so just took a shower, and went out.. Maybe that was the main problem, that i left my home in t-shirt, and while beeing out on the bike (city bike), temperature dropped a lot. Some cold beer i think worsen the things.. But when i came home, still no symptoms..

- Second day: Next day, i feel a bit dizzy, and find out that my temperature is 37.2 I decide to ignore it, and went for a 90 km ride. I realize i feel very well after 10 km, and we start hammering all the ride.. After the ride, i was perfect..

- Third day: Next day, recovery 65 km ride (night before i sleeped like 6-7 hours). I realized on this ride, even we rode very easy that i dont feel ok, and last 10 km i almost feel totaly exosted.. After the lunch my temperature 38 deg.

So i took few days break..Two of this days i feel some pulsating in my ear during the sleep (it woke me up).

Next day i feel ok, but still decide to dont ride..And my next ride was like 4-5 days after that.

Also top of near mountain, and temperature on the top 7 degrees (day before temperature was like 20).

Next day 122 km ride, hammering again, group ride.. I feel great (weather again very nice..20 degrees all next days)

Next day playing with 4 years old girl, running, chasing, playing (i got more exosted from this then the ride day before :) )

And next day, again i feel a bit dizzy and body temperature 37.2 temperature, but by the end of the day everything fine.

Next day i woke up, feel totaly great, so i done again 100 km ride, but tough climbing at the end.

Totaly healthy at the end of the day, also next day.

So two days after, we took another ride 150 km, with hill of 10 km with 10% average climb ...

Next day i had a guest (old friend who move to other country), so i promise him a ride.. So 90 km group ride, which start slowly, and after 10-15 km it was hard pace ...

Beer's after the ride (u know how is it when u see again ur old friend).The weather that day was mad. When we started and most of the day 25 degrees, and by the night like 10 degrees.

Next morning, i had to go for a day with my gf in other city for a weekend. Weather continue to be mad.. Rain, and 7 degrees.. I was unlucky to have to get the car from the parking without umbrella, and got totaly wet... And stayed like maybe 1 hour...And weather.. Two days later, again 20 something degrees...

And next day throat pain wake me up.. Body temperature beeing mad.. 37.2 then 37.4 then 37.8 then back 37.2-37.4 and this stayed few days..It start worsening with green thick thing in my nose and tooth pain (i realized that i got Sinuisitis and probably started as virus infection, and become bacterial).

After 5 days like this, finally 6th day it started to become a bit better (i was staying home all this 6 days), but i also started to get the antibiotics and i finally can breath using nose, and no nasty things in the nose today. Also no raised temperature (ok, this morning was like 37.1, now 36.5)

Ok, i know that i screw it up not resting after the first initial cold and that i pushed too much (but really never had this kind of problems, and i pushed this way often in last 20 years). Maybe sign im getting old (42 years old :) )

I decide to dont ride outside (the weather is crazy. TOday was 28 degrees)

Day before i started antibiotics i done the blood test and my CRP level was very high .. 76.8 and Sedimentation 65 (i'll redone this blood test again in 2-3 days, since i feel much better today, also waiting for results from samples from my nose and throad).

But what do u think? Is it ok to ride at least indoor trainer? Or no Riding at all for a while?

Sorry that this post is too long (first i wanted to ask more shortly), but i also wanted to warn other members who maybe also push sometimes when they should not, what can happen, so decide it to write it all...

PJCM

by PJCM

I regularly suffered from sinusitis until I was recommended regular saline rinsing which worked better than any medication. I use the NeilMed bottle with my own mixture of salt and baking soda.

It is not very pleasant to do and takes some practice but does get easier.

Maybe worth a try if you have not done so already.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

PJCM wrote:I regularly suffered from sinusitis until I was recommended regular saline rinsing which worked better than any medication. I use the NeilMed bottle with my own mixture of salt and baking soda.

Thanks a lot.. Today i got results from the lab, and there is no Bacteria. So i have virus infection. We was almost sure with a doc that big chance for a Bacteria infection, so we started with antibitotics without waiting for results (we should wait at least three days, but results was done in less then two).Anyway, i start feeling better, but have to continue antibiotics since i start that.. Ill definetely try with ur advice.

Pls tell me.. U had sinusitis just once? And how long it took until u get back on the bike after that?

Thanks a lot

PJCM

by PJCM

I have had sinusitis 3-4 times before learning about saline rinsing as both remedy and preventative. Like you, in pain with associated toothache, and unable to do much.

It would usually take about 7-10 days each time after going onto antibiotics before I would feel well enough to ride.

Now I rinse whenever I start to feel any congestion building. I still get occasional colds and flu like anyone, but no more sinusitis.

3Pio

by 3Pio

PJCM wrote:I have had sinusitis 3-4 times before learning about saline rinsing as both remedy and preventative. Like you, in pain with associated toothache, and unable to do much.

It would usually take about 7-10 days each time after going onto antibiotics before I would feel well enough to ride.

Now I rinse whenever I start to feel any congestion building. I still get occasional colds and flu like anyone, but no more sinusitis.

Thank u for sharing ur experience.. About antibiotics.. Did u start taking them even there is no evidence of bacteria, or first bacteria test then antibiotics? In my case, we made the blood test, and my sedimentation and CRP marker was very high (sedimentation 65, CRP 77), but no evidence of bacteria. Still, i got antibiotics (we did not wanted to wait few more days for bacteria results, and based on high CRP started to take them), and last few days no raised temperature and feel much better (yesterday first ride on trainer). Im not sure if it was coincidence of starting beeing much better after 8 days because of antibiotics, or my body beat the virus.. But since i started with antibiotics, i'll continue whole therapy...

olebole

by olebole

3Pio wrote:
PJCM wrote:I have had sinusitis 3-4 times before learning about saline rinsing as both remedy and preventative. Like you, in pain with associated toothache, and unable to do much.

Thank u for sharing ur experience.. About antibiotics.. Did u start taking them even there is no evidence of bacteria, or first bacteria test then antibiotics? In my case, we made the blood test, and my sedimentation and CRP marker was very high (sedimentation 65, CRP 77), but no evidence of bacteria. Still, i got antibiotics (we did not wanted to wait few more days for bacteria results, and based on high CRP started to take them), and last few days no raised temperature and feel much better (yesterday first ride on trainer). Im not sure if it was coincidence of starting beeing much better after 8 days because of antibiotics, or my body beat the virus.. But since i started with antibiotics, i'll continue whole therapy...

No wonder antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest threats to global health today...

3Pio

by 3Pio

olebole wrote:
3Pio wrote:

No wonder antibiotic resistance is one of the biggest threats to global health today...

Im not using antibiotics at all most of the time.. Very rare.. But in this case, i got all symptoms for bacteria infection, also CRP value was very high. The normal is <3 Mg/L. Mine was 76.8 mg/l ussually connected to Bacteria infection. Since i got problems for 10 days, and we needed to wait three more for bacteria results, we decide to go for antibiotics this time..

The general rule based on CRP value about antibiotics:

- Less then 3 mg/l - Normal, of course no need for antibiotics

- Less then 3-20 mg/l - Some kind of infection, but probably virus, no need for antibiotics

- Between 20-100 mg/l - Probably bacteria infection, wait for bacteria results or just follow ur condition. If it's worsening or not going better take the antibiotics.

- More then 100 mg/l - Take the antibitics

olebole

by olebole

3Pio wrote:
olebole wrote:
3Pio wrote:

Im not using antibiotics at all most of the time.. Very rare.. But in this case, i got all symptoms for bacteria infection, also CRP value was very high. The normal is <3 Mg/L. Mine was 76.8 mg/l ussually connected to Bacteria infection. Since i got problems for 10 days, and we needed to wait three more for bacteria results, we decide to go for antibiotics this time..

- Less then 3-20 mg/l - Some kind of infection, but probably virus, no need for antibiotics

- Between 20-100 mg/l - Probably bacteria infection, wait for bacteria results or just follow ur condition. If it's worsening or not going better take the antibiotics.

3Pio wrote:
olebole wrote:
3Pio wrote:

I'm sorry but that "general rule" sounds like its coming from someone prescribing antibiotics during ww2.

There are several of the common viral infections that causes crp levels around 100 and they should by no means be treated with antibiotics. I see those kind of numbers every week (primary care).

Concerning antibiotics and sinusitis there's a lot of evidence showing that its rarely needed

http://www.cochrane.org/CD006089/antibi ... -in-adults

dmp

by dmp

olebole wrote:
There are several of the common viral infections that causes crp levels around 100 and they should by no means be treated with antibiotics. I see those kind of numbers every week (primary care).

Concerning antibiotics and sinusitis there's a lot of evidence showing that its rarely needed

http://www.cochrane.org/CD006089/antibi ... -in-adults

This ^ (I'm also an MD), although patients with chronic sinusitis are sometimes exceptions, and culture without a real sinus aspiration is fraught with the potential for both false positives and negatives in those patients.
Sinus washes, as previously mentioned, can be very helpful at alleviating symptoms. In some cases a nasal steroid may be helpful in reducing inflammation, too.

As far as exercise, do what feels ok and just don't push hard. You don't need to lay around in bed to get better.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thanks to everybody that help me in this thread.. I done saline rinsing based on PJCM recommendation (Thanks a lot for this), and feel much better... Since this was first time in my life to have Sinus problems, i'll definetely know for the future problems :)

Since i was out of the bike for maybe three weeks, today i'll get back but on trainer (i just started Trainerroad, last week done once FTP test), but this week will start training program. Hope i'll get back in shape soon...

topflightpro

by topflightpro

PJCM wrote:I regularly suffered from sinusitis until I was recommended regular saline rinsing which worked better than any medication. I use the NeilMed bottle with my own mixture of salt and baking soda.

NeilMed has been my saving grace too. I do it everyday. Went from 4-6 infections a year to 1-2, and when I do get them, they don't last as long.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com