* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Scaphoid Fracture
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm 

Oct 08, 2017 14:57 pm

Due to have an op tomorrow due to a displaced fracture of the left scaphoid, happened during a stupid clip in fail.
I've 17, 000 miles logged in clipless pedals so even more stupid!

Anyway, I've had a non displaced scaphoid fracture on the right side ten years ago which resulted in five months of being in a cast. As it's going to be pinned I should be a lot less time in a cast, hopefully four to six weeks.

I'm worried about riding post recovery, first being losing my nerve and afraid of it happening again and secondly, the pain I suffered after removing the cast which lasted months.

I've a Wahoo Kickr, Zwift and di2 which I'll set in sequencial so I'm hoping to use that in the interim period, just worried about sweating under the cast, which stinks!

Another thought I've had is getting a Trek Domane for a less jarring ride on the wrist.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Post subject: Scaphoid Fracture
Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm 

Post subject: Re: Scaphoid Fracture
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:59 pm 

6 months to mend in casts, no pin. This was 25 years ago. I've heard the new thinking is that if they immobilize the elbow as well, the wrist heals faster. You might want to ask.

Physical therapy is a character building experience. Do the work, heal as fast as you can.

IMO 'nerve' is primarily due to not knowing the 'why/how' of the previous mishap. Never stick out a hand/foot when you could take the impact on a elbow or knee instead. Way fewer bones, and easier to fix.

Best wishes on your recovery, and keep riding.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:12 pm 

numberSix wrote:
6 months to mend in casts, no pin. This was 25 years ago. I've heard the new thinking is that if they immobilize the elbow as well, the wrist heals faster. You might want to ask.

Physical therapy is a character building experience. Do the work, heal as fast as you can.

IMO 'nerve' is primarily due to not knowing the 'why/how' of the previous mishap. Never stick out a hand/foot when you could take the impact on a elbow or knee instead. Way fewer bones, and easier to fix.

Best wishes on your recovery, and keep riding.

I've definitely lost confidence, and sticking out my arm to break the fall is probably instinct and definitely not choice.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:43 pm 

Perhaps I was too terse.

Years of mountain biking causes a reflex where you protect your face from impact with your forearm, instead of a hand or foot. I believe martial arts teaches something similar. I have distinct memories of pulling back my hand in mid-flight, sacrificing forearm skin to not be in a wrist cast for 6 months again. The takeaway is, falling involves conscious thought.

Nerve: How did you crash? A worn cleat didn't release? Did you stick out the foot on the low side of the camber, instead of the high side? My point was, once it's clear in your mind what went wrong, you'll be very careful about that in the future. No more reason to stress over it, because you're consciously avoiding making the same mistake.

regards,

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm 

numberSix wrote:
Perhaps I was too terse.

Years of mountain biking causes a reflex where you protect your face from impact with your forearm, instead of a hand or foot. I believe martial arts teaches something similar. I have distinct memories of pulling back my hand in mid-flight, sacrificing forearm skin to not be in a wrist cast for 6 months again. The takeaway is, falling involves conscious thought.

Nerve: How did you crash? A worn cleat didn't release? Did you stick out the foot on the low side of the camber, instead of the high side? My point was, once it's clear in your mind what went wrong, you'll be very careful about that in the future. No more reason to stress over it, because you're consciously avoiding making the same mistake.

regards,

It happened as I was coasting in to a t junction. I was about to set off without unclipping but heard a car and I guess I panicked and failed to clip out.
I seemed to land with the minimal of force but unfortunately the wrong technique.

I'm pretty sure I unclip at the bottom of the pedal stroke, which I'm to believe is wrong. So first thing I must do is re learn my bad habit!

Cheers