Preview on upcoming Paper Build Configurator

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

It's still far away from being finished, but I thought I should give you a preview on my recent project:

Paper Build Configurator

The use should be (more or less) self-explaining - I hope. ;)
Entries are fully editable, so if the desired component isn't in our database or your variant has a different weight you can easily modify the entries to your needs (customized entries will appear in italic afterwards).

Just play around and let me know what you think.
Bug reports, feature requests or any other suggestions on how to improve are welcome!
And if someone knows a better name, please tell me. :D

My current to-do list:
  • <strike>find a way to allow multiple/different entries (e.g. brakes, tyres, ...)</strike> DONE
  • <strike>ability to instantly download the build as PDF-document</strike> DONE
  • enable users to save and load builds into/from an XML file
  • some kind of documentation with FAQ, hints, known issues etc.
Last edited by Florian on Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Hey thats pretty cool! The only thing that I think shoud be added is a miscellaneous weight. Every one knows that the parts don't just add up to give you the real weight of the bike due to grease, air, bottle cage bolts, ect, so I always add a misc. weight to a bike build that I make of 50g. It's usually right on the nose.

Other then that very nice!

nikh

by nikh

Cool, looks good so we can add our own bike to the site right?

For the name how about -

"Bike Application Form"

or

"Bike Submission Form"

Could you have our personal submitted bike under the 'Author' name on the forum?

It would give other users the chance to view the authors bike at a glance.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

yoko

by yoko

Nice form!

An attachment button would be nice to have so that submitting both specifications and image will be once only.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Looking very good and promising!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Superlite wrote:The only thing that I think shoud be added is a miscellaneous weight.

Added: you can now define and add up to 5 custom entries.

nikh wrote:Cool, looks good so we can add our own bike to the site right?

Not right now.
Primary it's for people who want to spec a virtual bike (e.g. as help before a real build).
I might consider using it as base for "real bike" submissions in the future, but at the moment it's only for paper builds.

Cyco

by Cyco

Looks good, I like it.

Is there any way to have next to each catagory a get weight button that opens the approiate listings page? Following this furter into nasty coding land is the posibility of exporting an item from the listings page (with real weight) back into the build.

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Cyco wrote:Is there any way to have next to each catagory a get weight button that opens the approiate listings page? Following this furter into nasty coding land is the posibility of exporting an item from the listings page (with real weight) back into the build.

Erm... :?
When you click one of the radio buttons next to each category and hit the Submit button, the appropriate listing opens.
Then select the desired entry by marking the radio button, hit submit again and it will appear in the build list.

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

ChangeLog
  • Added possibility to add 2 components (currently for tyres, inner tubes and bottle cages)
  • To prevent Frankenbuilds some categories are now disabled (radio button greyed out) until other necessary categories are chosen

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Florian i like youre work, but....

I think that pressing the submit button for getting the apropriat listing and then after selecting the apropriat listing, pressing submit for another time is too much. Isn't there another way? ie when hitting the radio button the listing appears.

A small thing is that the 2nd opt for tires doesnt work.

The configurator is a perfect thing!

Another thing is that people are posting their bikes in the forum, because of the fact that it simply takes to long for them to get it in the articles. And sorry for you, no offence, but can't you work on that in stead of the configurator.
Or do you want us to post the bikes with a configurator build components list. So it is easier for you to put it together?

Please let us know!

Frank
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jonjayal

by jonjayal

Superb. Thanks again guys for all your hard work!

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Frankie - B wrote:I think that pressing the submit button for getting the apropriat listing and then after selecting the apropriat listing, pressing submit for another time is too much. Isn't there another way? ie when hitting the radio button the listing appears.

Added. You have to check the "Instant submit" box first, then it works.
I'm not sure if I should make it default, because someone who is new to it might get confused (submitting is not the usual action for a radio button).
Or you select the radio button and in the next second you realize that you wanted to select another item.
Any opinions on how it should be handled?

Frankie - B wrote:A small thing is that the 2nd opt for tires doesnt work.

It does work: after you've selected the first entry, another radio button for the second entry appears in the build list.
I know it's not very logic, but I haven't found a better solution yet. :(

Frankie - B wrote:Another thing is that people are posting their bikes in the forum, because of the fact that it simply takes to long for them to get it in the articles. And sorry for you, no offence, but can't you work on that in stead of the configurator.

I'll soon start again to clear up the backlog on submissions I received by email. I promise! :)

Frankie - B wrote:Or do you want us to post the bikes with a configurator build components list. So it is easier for you to put it together?

Actually I prefer "hand-made" submissions by email, because the result is more genuine.
I hesitate allowing people to click their bike together by using the component weights found in the database. There's too much possible variance then between the real overall weight and the one based on claimed/real weights found here on Weight Weenies.

It should be ensured that all (or at least most) weights of the submitted bikes are weighed by the submitter himself (or herself :wink:).
I already get many submissions by email, which rely completely on weights found here. If the people don't own a digital scale or didn't weigh them before assembling their bike, I usually beg them that they weigh at least the complete bike on a scale.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ah, instnat submit works great! But i dont seem to manage to get the second tire. It cant be the same.

Thanks for the fast reaction!

Frank

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Frankie - B wrote:Ah, instnat submit works great! But i dont seem to manage to get the second tire. It cant be the same.

Ah, now I understand what you mean - you're right, I just tried it: adding the same tyre twice doesn't work. <strike>Will be fixed soon.</strike> FIXED

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Florian,

What about stans and eclipse? I there anyway to fit them in?

Frank