HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 176 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:02 am 

Wow what a stupid move. they could have easily edited the posts that they din't like and leave the good stuff.

I was coming here everyday to read and look at the new stuff , etc..

I hope they put it back! :x

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:37 am 

Well I'll be voice against the tide and say, for the moment, the mods have taken the right step.

Yes the thread was one of my favourites but the continuing flood of sheer crap that was either not related to the thread or to anything WW was overwhelming. The mods posted many warnings and advice as to the mode of conduct required to keep things ticking. This was ignored repeatedly.

To those who did add constructive content (not many in the thread) I thank you for the excellent "spy shots" from races, training camps, or just out riding.

Oh and a whinge of my own, why oh why do people feel it nessecary to quote a post with multiple pics just to add a line or two?? Or for that matter add your opinion in this thread where it is not needed.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:37 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:38 am 

Guys, he is right. There is something to be said about protesting, but insulting and using crude speech is another thing. Mods, that is pitiful. I enjoyed the thread very much, and except for the for sale section, I doubt that I will be frequenting this as often as I had been. Bring it back

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:40 am 

I can't believe how many lurkers have voiced a concern......

Starnut

BB30.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:51 am 

Tapeworm wrote:
Well I'll be voice against the tide and say, for the moment, the mods have taken the right step.

Yes the thread was one of my favourites but the continuing flood of sheer crap that was either not related to the thread or to anything WW was overwhelming. The mods posted many warnings and advice as to the mode of conduct required to keep things ticking. This was ignored repeatedly.

To those who did add constructive content (not many in the thread) I thank you for the excellent "spy shots" from races, training camps, or just out riding.

Oh and a whinge of my own, why oh why do people feel it nessecary to quote a post with multiple pics just to add a line or two?? Or for that matter add your opinion in this thread where it is not needed.

I have trouble seeing how anyone can support them after they delete the most popular thread on the subforum without warning, after giving an entirely different set of ground rules just the day before. They laid out that (stupid, in my opinion) 24/48/72hr scheme, then they just wipe the thread off the map, and that's the right step?

As for you thoughts on this thread to voice concerns, why should anyone who wants to add a "+1" refrain? Exactly whose opinion on the matter is "not needed?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:07 am 

I love that thread, but I don't know what counterveiling equities the moderators are considering in the decision to remove it. I.e., they must have their reasons. I also would speculate that the thread is not truly gone for good; that it will be cleaned up and made accessible again; and that the moderators are banking on the hope that their warnings to cut the garbage will not go unheaded in the future as a result of their maneuver. It's a risky move, however, even if my speculation is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:18 am 

I think it is a shame it was removed like that, I understand there were off topic posts but I don't think it ever became abusive or rude etc.

Like most, was the number 1 thread on ww.

I think it is fair to say all of us like bikes and the gear as much as riding them.

I work for some of the top brands in cycling and check this site daily as well as make the odd post. of late the moderation has become a bit crazy. As an examle, after I made a post in a thread which was my opinion rather than factual, a mod posted after me stating that if thats how I felt this is not the forum for me.

Someone start a pro pics only, no comments thread maybe? I would but am on the road and only have a phone at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 am 

STARNUT wrote:

Starnut

"Lurkers" some may be, but we also drive traffic and keep our noses out of threads where we don't have something substantive to add -- that's something of value in its own right.

I look forward to hearing a more thorough response to your thoughts on the matter. I'm not 100% clear on what your situation is with starbike hosting the forums and all, but I imagine you're taking the concerns of your fellow forum members to heart, those with and without uber high post counts.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:52 am 

nothingman wrote:
...As for you thoughts on this thread to voice concerns, why should anyone who wants to add a "+1" refrain? Exactly whose opinion on the matter is "not needed?"

I fail to see how the "+1" or "Wow Armstrong's bike paint scheme is terrible, blah blah blah" added anything to the ProTeam thread. Other threads ARE about opinion, advice, information and hence these things are appropriate in those thread. But the ProTeam thread is too large a beast to get into 6 pages of drivel about "why Pro X's bike sucks" and all the variant chatter that spawn from it.

Like I said, there were repeated attempts to keep things on track, people ignored it and now complain that it's gone. The Mods have a hard job to walk the line of keeping things in the "spirit" of WW, I do not envy their job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:09 am 

nothingman wrote:
STARNUT wrote:

Starnut

"Lurkers" some may be, but we also drive traffic and keep our noses out of threads where we don't have something substantive to add -- that's something of value in its own right.

I look forward to hearing a more thorough response to your thoughts on the matter. I'm not 100% clear on what your situation is with starbike hosting the forums and all, but I imagine you're taking the concerns of your fellow forum members to heart, those with and without uber high post counts.

I may have a high post count but that doesn't give me anymore say or rights around here than anyone else. I'm not a mod so I'm not going speculate on why they got rid of the thread. I don't have anything to add to this discussion really....

My comment was not meant to critique anyone for anything (mods or lurkers). I'm of the idea that the more people we have contributing the better. My 'lurker' comment was a short way of saying that this place has more value to a lot more people than actually post here. So..... I sometimes forget that it's not the 50-70 guys that always post when last count showed we have just north of 14,500 users with screen names :shock: . I'm actually a little shocked at response. Not at the rhetoric, but the sheer volume from both new and established members. Along with the "F*uk the mods" thread, it kinda' shows this hit a nerve, so to speak. I'm reserving judgment on this whole deal till we find out what ultimately happened and what the end game is going to be.

Starnut

BB30.COM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 am 

Certainly one of the threads that I would check regularly as I'm a gear nut. Loved seeing the behind the scene photos of the team trucks, cars, and the bikes being setup for the various races. Definately something that you could not find on ANY other site.

A big loss IMHO. The chit-chat. . . . I always found the down arrow key to be my friend in passing it by.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:00 am 

Here's another lurker voicing opinion - BRING BACK THE PRO THREAD. You are literally going to loose half (maybe more) of the site's audience by eliminating that single thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:31 am 

Hey tapeworm, what's wrong with discussing the aesthetic appeal of pro team gear? How is that not relevant. The way pro team gear looks drives a good part of this industry. Whatevah, don't really care, the whole thing is just a little to douchy for me. Cya.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 am 

Sad, I enjoyed the Pro thread and like most here it was a regular read. The OT content was not really as annoying as the recent over-moderation of the OT content. Mods, instead of posting again and again about thread drift and OT topics, it would be easy enough to just delete the drifted posts. I mean, that is MODERATION.

Anyway, I am for the most part outa here. Heavy-handed moderation is a buzz kill.

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:37 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:44 am 
Shop Owner

I think that the thread was getting too many OT posts for the mods to police effectively, so I kind of understand why it was deleted.

However, I'd like to see a Pro Equipment-like thread where the mods just let it run wild. Sure, they'll be OT stuff, but it might just be self-policing, WW members just bringing it back on topic.

Anyway, I'm really sad to see it go. It was a great thread. I hope that it will come back. Hopefully it's only been archived, not permanently deleted.

'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 176 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next