Re: Where did the Pro Equipment 2010 thread go...?

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Cosmo

by Cosmo

Isn't the point of an online forum to let the users discuss things?
after 2 drinks I'm a loser, after 3 a star

jmh

by jmh

A look a the first page of the road discussion forum has exactly one thread that is WW. ALL of the others are general cycling, with a WW slant.

Attachments
WW Front Page.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Having moderated a site before, I get both sides of the argument. I think that as long as the discussion pertains to bikes, that it is related to the topic. While I have to say that I appreciate the site staff for the job they do, it is often overdone. Things like editing posts saying there is no need to quote, or stating that things are going off topic or not related to the spirit of the forum. Personally I think that the Cycle Chat section should be more of an off topic place where people can have random discussions about whatever. Just my take though :smartass:

mdcreed81
Resident Pro

by mdcreed81

I always thought it was funny when the mods asked to keep it on topic, thereby keeping the number of off topic post up. At the very most I think giving someone a 24 hour timeout would serve as punishment for straying off topic. But, just saying punishment and message board sounds silly. It was the first thread I would click on. I had a chuckle when the thread got locked for 24 hours and it was told to us by prefacing it with "with pain in our hearts". Little dramatic for a message board full of bike geeks eh?

biky

by biky

PRO topic was the reason to check the WW site

Who is going to start it Again,,, missing the Pics already!!
Tarmac SL2
Epic 2009

CBJ

by CBJ

Crazy :noidea:

dagjonas

by dagjonas

Too bad - my favorite thread, ever!

nigel379

by nigel379

RIP pro thread. You will be missed as you were by far the best thread on WW. I fully agree with popular consensus about over moderating and censorship.

djg714

by djg714

Best thread is gone.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

And this happens as we approach one of the major events that gives us a preview of the gear that's to come: The Tour de France.

I hope that the mods will let the Pro Gear thread reappear, and let the modding in the thread be moderate. I don't care if people talk a tad too much about Contadors pedals, I'll just read faster then and wait for posts with pictures.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

I've taken the liberty of merging the two existing threads on the pro equipment issue.

Let me just say that I appreciate that most of you have been civil in your comments.

I have taken the liberty of deleting the (relatively few) downright insulting comments in this thread.

I can also tell you that the mods are discussing this issue (although we have come to no conclusion as of yet).

Let me leave it at that for the time being.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

dré

by dré

Thanks Pete. And please keep in mind that the mods weren't the only ones that invested their time in this thread.
Last edited by dré on Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralphi

by Ralphi

I must say i'm rather dissapointed. That thread was the biggest reason i came here.. but now it's gone.. and so am i..

ergott

by ergott

One forum I frequent allows pics and descriptions of what is to be posted and no comments. People are allowed to make comments in separate threads. That keeps the show nice a neat.

-Eric

de zwarten

by de zwarten

Look Pete, Frankie.

I have the feeling that you are trying to get the forum back like it used to be 'in the good old days'.
Nothing wrong with that.

I have seen changes over the last couple of months, like more efficiently managing of hot topics (sticky for wheel building, tubulars etc), a new list with weights (warmly welcomed) and last but not least more intense moderation to keep the WW spirit alive (not warmly welcomed, but sometimes a must).

The problem is that there was no logic sequence of communication first and moderation afterwards, and now people are upset and one can understand why. You can argue that you have 'forum rules' (and through moderation you are doing that over and over again), but what you need is to explain your policy BEFORE you take measures. Now the moderation is quite arrogant by pointing to the rules and having in mind that all people should be as perfect as the moderators. Reminds me of some teachers I had at school. You can't get the best out of the forum members this way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com