New rules for posting For Sale

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
danventura

by danventura

Just to be clear and to answer FrankieB, I'm not too bitter, just a little bit :)

Mostly, I just like to look at both sides of a question and argue whichever side is underrepresented. In this case, I'm actually casually invested in the argument as well, being someone who doesn't post much and who found out about the new rules by having a "for sale"post over written by the message "please read the rules".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheBugMan
Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.

by TheBugMan

LazyLoki

See Loki, you are not lazy. One more post and you'll be able to sell those DA parts (^_^).

EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot you also have to wait a month, which is a day away for you :beerchug:
CLICK HERE to see my weenie

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

@ Dan,

Funny you mention that you didn't see the new rule, Everytime I log onto WW all of the new posts are marked with a orange/ yellowish marker. I explicitly made the post a new post in stead of editing the older rules and I made it an announcement. By doing this it came up in a part just above, but attached, to the forum and with another sign in front of the post. I think it is kind of strange that you and others didn't/don't notice it.

@ the others,

With this said I would also like to address the complaint that 30 posts and one month of membership are a harsh rule. We think it is not. As said before in the last half a year we saw a lot of people signing on to WW just to sell their parts. The WW crowd is a good and smart crowd, and the possibility of them buying from sellers with no real 'feedback' is very slim.
By enforcing this rule we encourage people to become an active member and get some credibility. this will also make selling for them easier. 30 posts isn't that much. 30/31 days is quite low as well. one post a day for one moth and: Presto!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

I think the rule is great.

I've bought and sold a few things here, including some rather pricey items, and haven't had any issues. It is a leap of faith & trust that things will go well, but the measures you have in place help minimize a bad outcome.

For what it's worth, I always look for the time a member has been around and the # of posts before contemplating a transaction with them (either buying from, or selling to).

SpeedyG

by SpeedyG

I have been a racing cyclist for 20 years, and have certainly bought and sold my fair share of equipment over the years, but wasn't even aware of WW until a buddy turned me on to it this week. I actually think the rules for buying and selling are more than fair, and am totally down with it. It's going to take me AT LEAST a month to check out all the forum postings and get up to speed with the site anyway. Am stoked to be part of WW now - cool site.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

I think the new rules are a very good thing; most of us would agree that people signing up simply to sell stuff isn't in keeping with the community spirit of the site. Unfortunately for some infrequent posters/new members, the only truly effective way to prevent this involves broad strokes, such as the new rules. It may (temporarily) hinder a few, but satisfies the ideals of the many in this case.

I would, however, suggest that the rules be posted in a more obvious fashion. A lot of the For Sale posts I see deleted seem to be made by users who aren't aware of the rules. Perhaps some sort of brightly-colored banner on the top of that forum page? It'll keep all the scrupulous people from breaking the rules, at least. The other option, of course, is to write it into the code of the forum, such that the board itself simply won't allow posts in the For Sale forum if the posting user hasn't met the requirements.

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

Well this Bangkok guy is taking the p!ss - he's spammed the test forum to get his post count up.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10044

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Thanks Red. Noted and action is being taken.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

KB

by KB

Redddraggon wrote:Well this Bangkok guy is taking the p!ss - he's spammed the test forum to get his post count up.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10044
You was thinking the same as me. He keeps posting even though his posts are deleted repeatedly. I've noticed that there are more people coming on here that have very few posts but want to sell. Seems a bit strange to me.

I've been on here for nearly 5 years now and have seen plenty come and go. I think the 30 post rule is generous because I wouldn't buy a thing off anyone with 30 posts.

It's a good rule that gives us more protection.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

For anyone wondering:

Bankok did get a warning.

I deleted his posts in the test section.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

This guy looks like he's pulling the same spamming trick, more subtle but not subtle enough.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8171

KB

by KB

Redddraggon wrote:This guy looks like he's pulling the same spamming trick, more subtle but not subtle enough.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8171
Great insight!!! :D

I also have a feeling about someone else, who is doing it far more subtly.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

We are working on it.

But please do pm me or one of the other mods with your suspicions.

Thanks.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

dufferofstgeorge

by dufferofstgeorge

This doesn't make good reading.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2699/416 ... 3808_o.jpg

[img tags removed. piccie to biggy]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

yeah, can we get those topics actually deleted. Give the user a warning through PMs. It's gotten a bit ridiculous.

Better yet, It should be possible to code restrictions in php, which would solve all of our problems.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.