WW component review section?

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Ruds

by Ruds

Would anyone else find it useful to have a component review section similar to the mtbr one? http://www.mtbr.com/reviewscrx.aspx I think it would make the forum a much more useful place, what do you think? Is this a possibility?

Ruds

by Ruds

So does no one else think this would be a good idea or is it not possible?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Ruds,

You are welcome to write reviews if you like. Not the ones like on mtbr (with the flaming chili's etc) but more like I recently did in the road forum. Please have a look at the links in my signature.

Thanks,

Frankie
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Ruds

by Ruds

Why wouldn't you want them organised so that you have all the relevant reviews in one easy to find place? Writing it in the road section means that it is buried very quickly and has to searched for resulting in all sorts of un needed threads...

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I have been thinking about creating a subsection for reviews, but have decided against it. New subsections will splinter the forum more and more and with that making the forum harder to read and search. Your idea is a nice one, but we have decided not to go that way.

Thanks,

Frankie
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

slyboots

by slyboots

I think you could just post a sticky thread with the review links collection - no need for another section and reviews are easy to find.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

I agree with the sticky idea. That way it keeps the forums set up the way they are, which I fully support, but it keeps everyone's reviews in one handy place.

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

If we would to sticky every single review i think the first pages of the forum will be loaded with stickies. Also, after some time component X is dated and still a sticky...I think just using the 'search' button is a great way...so the forum keeps 'clean' for every other subject. Just :search: like you would :search: on the net. And if you can't find anything, you still can ask in the forum. :roll:
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

Ruds

by Ruds

Thats like tidying your desk by wiping everything onto the floor, it's still there you just have to :search: for it...

I only mentioned this as a though after looking through the mtbr site and seeing how neat their review section is. I can still find what I need to but it's no where near as concise as it could be and you end up looking for 10min as apposed to 30s to find what your after :?

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

Well, i can understand your point of view but i like reviews where ppl can discuss about the reviewer and the component. Not just a review and no place to discuss.
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

slyboots

by slyboots

$mokeyJoe wrote:If we would to sticky every single review i think the first pages of the forum will be loaded with stickies.

Ughm, the idea was to sticky only one thread and put the links to review threads onto its first post. No need to sticky multiple threads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

Exactly, stickying every single review would be crazy. I agree with the idea to have one stickied "Gear Reviews" thread each in Road, Mountain, Cyclocross/Touring, and perhaps Training. A single thread wouldn't clog anything up appreciably, and it would make finding reviews very simple.