Weights in the listings

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
brian

by brian

When there are more than one weight (averaged (53/54)), are the weights submitted by two different people or is it the scales that are not accurate?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

I read somewhere here that the mod said that when they get a double post they edit it to an avg.

I think I would prefer if they just kept it as two different post with different wieghts.

I have two tufo 160gram tyres. 1 is 154grams and the other is 165grams. So the avg. is 160grams. But I would like to know that you can get a 165gram tyre.

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

When you see a listing with averaged (...) then the values come from different people weighing the same item and/or one person weighing several items.
The value in the weight field is the average of the values you see between the brackets, so the value usually reflects what weight you can expect on average while you can also see the weight spread in the comment field.
Image Image

Dalai

by Dalai

Noticed a potential discrepancy in the Road wheel listing.

Wheel listing Ritchey Protocol advertised weight - you may need to confirm with the people who weighed this wheelset whether they had the original US released wheelset or the globally released wheelset.

US wheel had a 16-20 spoke count which had the initial suggested weight by Ritchey of 1351 g.

Global wheelset (not sure if the lower spoke count has been removed from the US market) is a 20-24 spoke count and weights listed in the 2005 Ritchey catalogue are for this spoke count:

Front - 636g
Rear -
Campag - 820g
Shimano - 775g

Still will have an actual weight above that which is advertised, but not by the current huge margin...

Ciao Martin

User Name

by User Name

Dalai wrote:Noticed a potential discrepancy in the Road wheel listing.
that's nothin'!! :)

what about that 58cm 853 Hillman steel frame at 1140g???!!!!

I would be AMAZED if that was accurate.

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

User Name wrote:
that's nothin'!! :)

what about that 58cm 853 Hillman steel frame at 1140g???!!!!

I would be AMAZED if that was accurate.

Submission by Ian Crane (rexjames AT optushome DOT com DOT au) wrote:> no forks, unpainted hand made by Gordon Hill
> Claimed:1500
> Real:1140

Uhm, 1140 g for a steel frame?
At what approximate frame size and what tubing was used?

Florian
Weight Weenies

Florian,

58cm, Reynolds 853 butted brazed unpainted without forks

I looked at all the frame materials available prior to deciding what to buy.

It seemed to me that comments that one reads on the net generally claim steel to be heavy.

Not only is this frame as light as anything on the market it also has a life which will be well beyond the functional life of the other components.

I had a 531 bike made by Gordon Hill 20 years ago and it is still like new.

A friend of mine is now also building a bike with the same frame and it is also 1140 gm

Carbon fibre is not good after 3 years, Al, is harsh

The only alternative to steel is Ti in my view

If you are a professional with an endless budget and multiple bikes than Carbon has it's place.

All the best

Ian

Florian,

Just a further note about the 1140gm steel frame.

I have a Sartorius electronic scale and did not believe the weight when I weighed the frame.

I took it to a fellow I know who has an industrial electronic balance which had just been calibrated by the state weights and measures board.

He fills little tubes of rubber grease for PBR (Automotive brake company ala Corvette Brakes) here in Australia.

Got the same weight

The other person who has had a frame made is my friend Albert Benzing and you will find his email in the cc section of this message.

Thus if you would add it to your frame list you may report a sample of two after getting verification from Albert of his weight.

I painted them both as I have a baking oven of my own at a factory I own.

I think that this should see a resurgence in the use of steel frames and is of great interest to the bicycle community.

A.T.B.

Ian

Florian wrote:If you get the weight of your friend's frame let me know it + the size.

Florian
Weight Weenies

Florian

Same size same weight
1" head tube

Ian
Image Image

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Wheel listing Ritchey Protocol advertised weight - you may need to confirm with the people who weighed this wheelset whether they had the original US released wheelset or the globally released wheelset.

To my knowledge there are even different US versions: the official one and special batches made to specs for mailorder companies.
Image Image

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

User Name

by User Name

hmmmmm......I see :wink:

Actually, I'm in Melbourne where I assume that frame was built, so maybe I'll run into it one day.