HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Frankie B's Moderating
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:10 am 

Just my two cents but Frankie B tends to be a bit controlling with his moderating. Am I wrong to think these are forums for discussion. Ending a thread quite early because he thinks it not going any where seems controling. Moderators should be there to keep the peace not give the forum direction. As the song says Frankie, Relax!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:23 am 

I have some sympathy with this... :?

Seems to me that moderators are there to set and exercise rules within which we can discuss things; not make value judgements about what we should be discussing or whether it 'leads to anything'.

rico

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:23 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:40 am 

Here's the question .. even on this topic (moderating) does it belong in the road section? It doesn't have much to do with WW parts, etc. does it?

It's a valid topic it just belongs in the "Weight Weenies" area of discussion IMO. Of course, guess that's up to the moderators. HA!

I think the same is probably true with doping issues which is I assume what gerry is talking about (your favorite subject jerry!!) lol. Perhaps there should be a new forum area called "Drug Weenies" .... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:44 am 

The only reason I posted the latest Ferrari thread was to see which would happen first: gerry's re-appearance (Hi gerry!!! We all missed you! :waving: :roll: ) or Frankie-B shutting it down :evil: ....Too bad gerry, you lost! :cry:

I'm JUST kidding, I don't have any problem with Frankie at all, nor with gerry. And I sure hope that this doesn't turn into a Frankie v. gerry tug-of-war, because then Frankie will haul out his red lips avatar and scare everybody away.... :frightened:

I did think the thread had some interesting info re: the final verdict on a pretty important judgment in a pretty important case.

But that thread, the previous really fun flaming ones, and this one all point to the need for a general discussion section...see, we WW aren't so one-dimensional after all. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:45 am 

I completely understand everyones views on this matter. It's such a fine line between general bike related conversation and of course light weight bike parts.

Florian (webmaster) has made it clear to us mods that he wants this forum to be a discussion ground for discussing the latest and lightest parts available and nothing more. Of course certain discussions are aloud for one reason or another. That is up to the discretion of the mod. And before I get jumped upon I know there are some recent threads that fall below this boundary, it's such a fine line. In all honesty a good percentage of threads should be closed but we let things slide unless they get into a flaming war which will then not be tolerated.

The mod team here at WW have discussed about having a general or an off-topic forum but the general consensus was that we are not prepared to have to moderate such topics. There are plenty of other places on the web to discuss such matters.

I hope this kind of gets my point across...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:50 am 

nikh wrote:
..snip..

I hope this kind of gets my point across...

I suspected this would be the answer and can understand your point, and the moderators general concensus. You probably don't need more work (and certainly, THANKS for your work). I appreciate the fine line you guys have to dance and actually think you do a pretty good job. I thought the thread by cadence was appropriate because we'd discussed the same issue before (at length), and now there was new info. But at the same time, I was happy when Frankie closed it .. because I thought "oh no, here we go again!". Doping is volitile but other subjects not .. please don't just shut <i>everything</i> down not related to light bikes!!

Isn't an aspect of any forum it's unique makeup of it's members? Sometimes I want to hear (or not! :) ) this particular forum's unique opinions on issues related to cycling. When the TdF comes around do I have to say I think Cippo's going to win today because he has the new "dorfwal crank" or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:20 am 

Well said.

And if people decided to moderate themselves more, less involvement by the mods would be required.

Opinions here are in fact generally very well expressed, and the range of topics is interesting, more so than if ONLY related to lw components, since there is more to cycling and our lives than just the parts (no pun intended). It is far less aggressive-inflammatory here than on most other forums (and one famous one in particular).

So, I value as much openness as we can sustain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:28 am 

Thanks for the understanding replies.

Personally I'm 90% for a general forum where we can share ride stories, pictures and just overall general discussions about bikes. But, it brings on a whole lot more moderating as I can envisage a vast amount of topics popping up which in turn each thread has to be read individually which I hope you can appreciate is time consuming!

Without wanting to put Florian on the spot, at the end of the day its his call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:35 am 

he even I, whos mouth got shut down, is not angry with the mods. If the forum is indeed only bout parts then yeah lock discussions not related to this. But if not then everybody should be able to give his views, also if someone is accused of not being not sportive..and even if its some one everybody seems to love
Cheers, joz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:06 pm 

Even if its only about light parts....then frankie is a bit hypocritical. I remember this one time when some topic that was definitely valid (I forgot what it was, but it was like a lot of other topics) was suddenly shut down because frankie thought it was "not really about light bikes." At the same time, there were threads about doping, oscar friere's worlds win. etc. He's selective at best with what topics he allows. Pretty stupid, in my opinion.

We're here to discuss road cycling matters. It's a public forum. Who is to say whats wrong and right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:26 pm 

gerry wrote:
Just my two cents but Frankie B tends to be a bit controlling with his moderating. Am I wrong to think these are forums for discussion. Ending a thread quite early because he thinks it not going any where seems controling. Moderators should be there to keep the peace not give the forum direction. As the song says Frankie, Relax!

I don't know Frankie-B on a personal level. But I could respond to how I would react if I were him and Gerry had posted the above comments about me. I would be feeling pi$$ed off and unappreciated for my efforts.

The mods must have to put in several hours a day on a volenteer basis, in order that the forum runs smoothly. We all benefit from the efforts of the mods team.

I would suggest if Gerry or any other member has some comments about Frankie-B's moderating he direct those comments in a PM directly to Forlan. Naming a thread in such a way and directly criticising a mod is not on IMO.

I'd like to publically thank Florian, Frankie-B, Martin, Nikh and Zoe for all there time and efforts in contributing to a website forum that I have found to be most helpful in building a knowledge of lightweight bike parts.

Last edited by Tippster on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:27 pm 

HawkMt210 wrote:
Even if its only about light parts....then frankie is a bit hypocritical. I remember this one time when some topic that was definitely valid (I forgot what it was, but it was like a lot of other topics) was suddenly shut down because frankie thought it was "not really about light bikes." At the same time, there were threads about doping, oscar friere's worlds win. etc. He's selective at best with what topics he allows. Pretty stupid, in my opinion.

We're here to discuss road cycling matters. It's a public forum. Who is to say whats wrong and right?

Wrong- its a private forum that you are a guest on- subject to their rules. They say whats right or wrong-- and have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:34 pm 

well its a public forum, also non members can read it..thats more or less public..a private forum would only be accesible for members :]]
And stop bothering Franki now, maybe hes just an Armstrong fan..
cheers, jos

Post subject: RE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:03 pm 

I think Frankie B should shut down this thread immediately, as it has nothing to do with light weight cycling components... lol :D ... just kidding :wink: ... I'm just trying to add some humour to the discussion; I think we should just cut Frankie some slack... I think he does his job well, he just has strong opinions of what is proper and improper... If he lets anything slide, this forum will just turn into one of those undefined discussion forums that you can find elsewhere... He organizes topics well, as I have experienced first hand from him moving my posts to their proper place... Thanks Frankie... I think the best solution would be to set up a misc forum index, where anything related to cycling culture goes (or almost anything)... I think it was Spytech that brought this up yesterday... This is just my humble opinion... Back to bike talk peoples! :D

Post subject: RE
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:12 pm 

Frankie does a damn good job moderating, so if your complaining, your probley talking about stuff that shouldn't be going on here.

"Stop whining!"
Arnold, Kindergarten Cop

Go to page 1, 2  Next