weight weenies kit?

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

i also kind of agree with ns its a very fair point. sometimes i forget not everyones as nuts as me.
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

djconnel

by djconnel

LJ wrote:I dont think NS is being nasty...just realistic.

So am I. In other words, if 200 people respond to a poll, and 1 says "yes!", then that would indicate a sufficient fraction, if the poll is unbiased (which of course it isn't).

But nevertheless, I think a poll will be biased in favor of support. So it's a good idea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NS

by NS

Thanks Lee

Yes I wasnt being nasty. I have been using this forum now for the best part of 5 years and although there may well be 8000 members a tiny fraction of them post now.

Also as has been pointed out this is not a new idea and it invariably falls on stony ground. Peoples tastes are wide and varied, some have team kit to wear, others wear Assos or Rapha only.

All I am saying is that before you get a "semi" about this you may want to perform a little market research.

Guessing a percentage based on the numbers of members half of whom are probably just spurious gambling sites and the other half departed due to the perceived dumbing down of this forum is not what I would call ideal.

Good luck to you if you decide to go ahead but your path is most probably beset by disinterest and apathy.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Although some points have been made that this forum has "dumbed down" (really?), I think we should put up a poll with a simple yes/no choice.

Yes being "I'd buy it if the design was agreed upon through a contest"
and No being "I wouldn't be interested in a kit, thanks."

Then, once we have a # of interest, we can hold a month-long contest.
All entries will be submitted to an e-mail address. This way people can submit anonymously and the person with the e-mail monitoring will keep track of who designed what.

At the end of the month, create a thread that displays all the submitted designs within the first/two/three posts (might need to coordinate with a moderator to set this up to prevent replies until all the submissions have been posted). Users vote for which one they like of the choices.

Winning kit gets submitted through starbike (or fairwheel?), they'll handle the rest. ChampionSys has a minimum 10 order for the first order, everything else can be as few as 1 piece... so that may be the best choice for these circumstances.

Thoughts?

aarw

by aarw

i thinlk the cycling caps idea is more realistic. as said, many will always prefer to wear team/club clothing.

kermit

by kermit

something completely different, but a weight weenie kit could also be a virtual material kit. the complete set-up for a bike. You could have a campa-centered set-up, etc...

markc

by markc

I like the idea of a WW jersey so here are two cents:

First, do short sleeve jerseys only. I have tons of team kit and am picky about shorts but I do pick up interesting jerseys from time to time. Doubtful that I am flying solo on that. I also enjoy this forum a great deal and would wear a WW jersey without hesitation.

At risk of recapping the obvious -- To make this work someone needs to put in effort to form a design. That is the easy part. The hard part is someone needs to take the risk to print the jerseys and that has a large upfront cost of a couple thousand dollars. That "someone" likely also needs to be a known member of the group so that folks will send said person money for a jersey with expectation of receiving said jersey. This lucky someone gets blessed with processing orders and mailing product. As such, that someone also needs to be a bit altruistic because this is a PIA unless you are already set up to do it (see below).

Having done a few things like this with internet groups I would estimate that if 50 folks said they want a jersey then 15-20 will pony up the cash for one early and then another 10-15 folks will come around a few months later to ask if the shirts are still available. Take home is if someone makes the investment in printing 50 shirts it might take a year but they'll eventually all sell.

A solution to the problem is obvious - a known WW with a known and trusted internet bike business makes the shirts and sells them (at a small profit of course). Or perhaps a business that caters to Weight Weenies and derives some benefit from posting to the site could step up. I would suggest that such an organization be allowed to put their logo on the shirt sleeves and obtain some relatively low cost targetted advertising :twisted:

My suggestion for design would be a simple logo on a black jeresy (black is slimming and one can never be too slim). I would do a big orange and white Weight Weenie ANT mascot on the front and back of the jersey and "Weight Weenies" in simple block font on the side panels. I recall some issue about the ANT being protected but it is a much loved mascot and perhaps the owner or logo originator could bless the project.

Hope that was entertaining - I'd take two medium ANT jerseys and might be willing to actually help with the project if it gains traction.

Mark

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Personally I think should be a medium weight short sleeve jersey and bibshorts. Just a standard nalini pad or somthing.
Tikka

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

currieinahurry wrote:Personally I think should be a medium weight short sleeve jersey and bibshorts.

Ahhh. Shouldn't it be light ... very light?

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

lol very true!! also i hate black kits. surely ww kit would need to be mainly white?
tikka

markc

by markc

>> Black vs white shirts

LOL - I mocked it up on the ChampSys template in white and it looked pretty good to me but my wife didn't like the single big ant. But you know chicks and bugs don't always get on well :-)

Mark

Rikc

by Rikc

Although I do not post much on the forum, I am spending quite some time here. And I really like the idea of some WW clothing. But as many others I have a team-kit that my club likes me to wear.
Maybe some small accersoires are more realistic and are eassier to order from abroad. Like DJ said a cycling cap or some overshoes and socks would be cool, all in white ofcourse. And maybe some decals for on the bike, wheels or helmets?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Decals on the bike, wheels or helmets are extraneous weight (however little), and therefore contrary to everything weight weenies stands for,

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

WW only really has one colour - orange, plus the white and black of course.

This isn't the most promising pallette in the world, but I'd suggest something like:

- Plain white SS jersey with a large "Weight Weenies" in the WW font in black across the shoulders on the back and then a very large orange Ant below this with black outline ... same as homepage Ant
- On the front all white with a broad orange horizontal band across the chest and then another "Weight Weenies" emblazoned across the band. This could be in white.
- White collar with black "weight weenies" written on it twice.
- "Weight Weenies" down the side panels which again could have a base colour of orange (I think white writing will look better on orange.
- Perhaps some "<6.8" details

The overall effect would be white with some orange and a giant Ant on the back. Very distinctive if not tasteful.

On to the shorts ... Here we need to keep them largely white but with a black undercarriage to preserve our WW modest. Maybe a simple black Weight Weenies down each side panel would work nicely with an orange ant thrown in on each side to tie-in with the orange on the jersey.