Weight Weenie Haters

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
velomanct

by velomanct

In defense of WW:

Find a test ride demo event and ride one of the typical brands high end pro model road bikes. I did this last fall with Specialized - the flagship $10,000 bike. That thing was a dream, when accelerating and climbing. It weighed around 15lbs, 4lbs less than my '02 Cdale with Dura Ace. Low effort accelerations where noticeably easier, (the problem was I didn't like the bars).

Point is, 4lbs and improved frame construction and components DO make a difference.

But for the rider who can easily lose 10-20lbs, obviously you should lose that weight first. The problem is that you have cat 5 or noob riders who aren't in top shape asking if 5lbs really matters. It matters a lot more for a high level amateur or pro than them. Yeah I might sound snobby, but suck it up and get in shape. Road biking isn't for whiners or complainers. I see the same mentallity in group ride email lists. "Race against people your own age, not the 19yr olds who work part time and train full time". Believe me, no matter how much free time or how young those fast guys are, they deserve their results. Suck it up and ride with the fast kids, it will only make you faster. That's exactly how I got strong from age 14 to 17.

Road biking is such an ego-based sport. Everyone is comparing themselves to everyone else trying to boost their ego.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Everyone is comparing themselves to everyone else trying to boost their ego.

Via the ever present use of sandbagging.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sfcyclist1

by sfcyclist1

Who cares what other's think??? :lol: Dropping weight is just one of the many things to get into..

I can understand both sides. Everyone has to make this rational so we all decide on our own where the limit should be. It's all good in my book. I enjoy cycling for many reasons. The racing, riding, training, gear, equipment, routes.. all quite entertaining. At the end of the day, we have to look back and enjoy it for whatever the reason..

What I love about this site is validation of the product's weight claims and share my level of infatuation with you sicko's!

jonjones13

by jonjones13

Its more about pushing what CAN be done for me, it's like pushing the boundaries. Yes, it's the law of diminishing returns - the further you push weight savings, the more that extra gram saved is gonna cost, but this forum (for me) is about pushing what's possible - see my upcomign pics/spec of my Parlee Z3SL - should be light ;-)

theStig

by theStig

You know.. You can talk about weight all day.. Body weight..rotational weight..frame weight..expensive crashy carbon bits.

My observation? The expensive stuff just looks soooo much better. =)

I know at least some you will secretly remove a lightweight part if it's ugly.

ade

by ade

It,s all very interesting stuff, but i just wondered if a rider is say 2 or 3 Kilo,s overweight would this not cancel out any weightsaving made on the bike. 8)
Ademort

StefanR

by StefanR

why do cyclists take themselves sooooo serious? here and there, everywhere.
diversity.....

""the sheeps get loud... when the wolf is gone....."" Juan Marquez

cmh

by cmh

StefanR wrote:why do cyclists take themselves sooooo serious? here and there, everywhere.

It's pretty amazing...we love a sport where it's ok to wear funny outfits but everyone gets so serious about it. It's just bicycles...cracks me up.

benolium

by benolium

I' m pretty sure my Reynolds Assaults look better and perform better than my old Kysirum's. Even if they are roughly the same weight. Being a WW is all about the hobby, the fun, the desire, staying up all night dreaming about what (wheels, brakes, skewers cables....the list goes on and on) to change out just because I can. I love being a WW. Oh yes, I am faster with a lighter bike!

Bvb45

by Bvb45

Sorry for replying to an older thread, some don't mind it, some do, just hedging bets ;)

benolium wrote:..Being a WW is all about the hobby, the fun, the desire, staying up all night dreaming about what (wheels, brakes, skewers cables....the list goes on and on) to change out just because I can. I love being a WW. Oh yes, I am faster with a lighter bike!

Same. And thats even if I only run on a TT bike.

--------

For celery, I see your point about what does 5 pounds mean and should'nt the rider just shed 5 pounds?

I weigh 76kgs in race form with less than 5% bodyfat. 78kg in over-hydrated condition ready for Ironmans. After the swim its 77 again and after the bike its 75, with fuel intake counted in, in non-hot conditions. I can't shed more pounds off me without it being lost muscles.

I made a WW plan to dream about something at night that didn't have 2 boobs, and that'll cost me north of £3,800 to carry out in total, which would Aero-pimp my bike to that max, while also shedding 5-6 pounds off it. It may never happen in full, but its fun as hell to think about and it makes it worth it to go to work every day in the winter time while eating tons of rolled oats and pastasalads to keep costs down for living :)

It's also fun todo, because then its alot easier to spot, where to put the money FIRST, ie identify where one gets the most (aero(for TT)/)weight(in general) for the bucks. My bike will get new grouppo parts as the last thing I'll buy if ever fx and powermeter and wheels first.

I intend to use my TT bike for ALL Ironman competitions, pancake flat German ones, Embrunman(Col d'Iozard), IM UK, etc etc, so I will go up alot of hills and mountains and will definately have extended periods of time below 12 mph, which someone said was the where a TT bike benefitted more from being light than from being Aero. And ofc, it'll be my unique spec!
My Intro, TT bike and Aero/WW Upgrade plan
"A forum post should be like a skirt - long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting."