Posting styles

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Cyco

by Cyco

I'm interested in how others feel about a few things that I have noticed developing here. I've always been a bit of a fan of more formal writing styles, and from some of the non-native English speakers I've chatted to it makes it easier for them to understand than slang. If others think I have this totally wrong, I'd like to hear it.

I'm not a fan of anyone just posting "+1" I'd rather see a full post or none.

I also can't see the need for massive quoting of several people, especially if it includes pics. It just makes the post overly long and for most it has little to do with what they are referring to. If you are answering/questioning a post several above yours then a small quote is good so everyone knows what you are on about, but I don't feel any is needed when replying to to post immediately above yours.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

I agree - but I think it would be difficult to have anything come of this.

It almost seems like the culture of the board is changing with the sudden prevalence of posts along the lines of +1 and just search - what was once a very interesting forum with people sharing (generally) unique ideas and opinions has changed (seemingly with the influx of new members - which, is not a bad thing at all) into a board where fairly generic and pointless comments are becoming more common, which only really serves to detract from the good and curious postings and make it harder to find the good stuff.

On the other hand though, while slang may be harder for non-native English speakers to understand (or even localized slang confusing people from different locations, with an english background or not), a very formal, traditional structure of writing would probably be just as difficult to understand, due to the inherent grammatical nuances and the increased complexity of the language used in such a style. But thats just semantics, taking the 'formal style' your suggesting really literally. Basically, moot point.

To me though, what the board seems to need is an injection of common sense, courtesy, tolerance and again to refocus on not self-promotion or pointless blandishments but instead on informative or meaningful questions. That, and I'd really appreciate it if people stopped throwing around accusations and drug allegations with no basis in fact and are only rooted in a diseased, paranoid reality. Actually, not just about drugs, but about a whole lot of other things - I don't see a constructive post as being one that (soley) says to someone who's invested their time and money into a build they love that the bike 's 'dieing for a new paintjob' (which is a project that is disconnected from reality for the majority of the members here, and paint color is a personal choice, so shove it) or it's awful simply because 'it's a trek' or my personal favourite - every Shimano build being 'in dire need of campy'...why?!? It's demeaning, especially considering the time, effort and passion that goes into every build. So what if someone can only afford Ultegra. The need to respect peoples financial situations is pretty important on a board like this - it's daunting to consider the frivolity with which some people treat their money (though this is perfectly acceptable if they've earnt it, and I wont judge anyone who uses money that they have luckily come into a position to use)

Since Cyco stopped reading after the first paragraph, I should restructure all of this so that my actual points sit right at the top...but I'm to lazy
:D (that, and I feel like sh*te - time for a lie down)
Last edited by Skillgannon on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikh

by nikh

Skillgannon wrote:To me though, what the board seems to need is an injection of common sense, courtesy, tolerance and again to refocus on not self-promotion or pointless blandishments but instead on informative or meaningful questions...............or my personal favourite - every Shimano build being 'in dire need of campy'...why?!?

+1 :lol: :wink:

I agree though. And what irritates me is a subject heading that is blatantly abstruse. Since us mods have to read/scan all the posts it would make life easier.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

KB

by KB

Cyco wrote:I'm interested in how others feel about a few things that I have noticed developing here. I've always been a bit of a fan of more formal writing styles, and from some of the non-native English speakers I've chatted to it makes it easier for them to understand than slang. If others think I have this totally wrong, I'd like to hear it.

Mate, lighten up, the Seppo's and the Froggies understand more than you think. Yes, some of the recent posters need a few manners and behave like a bunch of westies, but I'm sure you can educate these drongo's to know better. It's becoming an open slather for some of them.

So, best to pull them into line and get them to become fair dinkum, but don't overdo it and become a wowser.

Well, time for a spot of tucker and a bit of spine bashing followed by the Sheila for a bit of horizontal rumba. Brace yerself luv!!!

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I am with you on this, but it's hard to control really. People are just different and do things differently. Personally, i like a topic title to be to the point (as in the opposite of "have you guys seen this?") and the content to be well written. But it's not really possible to enforce it.

Koen.

theremery

by theremery

-1 nope...prefer the slang.
Old school English is a dead duck sooner or l8r m8 :wink:
[ l8r= l 8 r = later, m8= m 8 =mate tho I'm sure most people know that already]
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Skyleth

by Skyleth

Speaking of posting trends... what's with stringing a bunch of emoticons togeather?

:?: :twisted: :P :roll: :noidea: :smartass: :thumbup: :doh: :hmm:

hehe, maybe it's possible to get your point across using only emoticons...
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Skyleth wrote:Speaking of posting trends... what's with stringing a bunch of emoticons togeather?

:?: :twisted: :P :roll: :noidea: :smartass: :thumbup: :doh: :hmm:

hehe, maybe it's possible to get your point across using only emoticons...

It's like hieroglyphics...I new I should've studied egyptian

Except, in this case, the hieroglyphics always spell 'gibberish' or occasionally 'cretin' :?

theremery

by theremery

definition of abstruse=?
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

marko

by marko

I call everyone local a Seppo, and being one, it takes one to know one. Thanks for the giggle.

KB

by KB

marko wrote:I call everyone local a Seppo, and being one, it takes one to know one. Thanks for the giggle.

shaddap yer drongo :D

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Chris, what is actually needed is far stricter moderation if you wish to achieve this. People posting +1s need to be told that it is unacceptable. I know I am guilty of useless posts, but like any child, I didnt start it! My personal favourite at the moment is "Post your campy bikes". A useless 6 pages of pictures of bikes already displayed elsewhere. There might be some useful content 5 pages in about something completely unrelated (perhaps someone is running a modified Force shifter with Record) but without reading the whole thread, one would never know.

People asking "where do I buy bolts" should also be stamped on immediately unless they actually show they have done a decent search.

What happened to Mr.Search anyway?

theremery

by theremery

the remery hands rtw a chill pill
here m8 u may need 2
Please clearly display that you have searched before asking. 3 copies of signed (by a justice of the peace to ratify that they are correct and true copies) proof should be submitted with your request. YEAH RIGHT!
Alternatively, you could just ask a group of people who will know details not even recorded in the forums.
Hell......if it saves you 10 mins, and you're not in a hurry for the answer......that is possibly not a crime. I know that time is my most precious resource. I'm happy to send florian a donation for costs if the server chokes (as would many).
+1 is the fastest way to say "oh yes....I agree with that"
The English language is evolving.....the dinosaurs that go for "no change" will go the same way as the previous generation of dinosaurs. The next generation will determine this (as they are starting to already) and NOTHING we do will slow it down much (I'm old).
Why not post a page of campy bikes?....heaven forbid.....it may actually make them easier to find and look at en-masse. If you think you've seen 'em all....don't open that page!
Right toddy....gimme the chill pill bottle back...I've had a crap week and I'll have the entire lot.

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

theremery wrote:+1 is the fastest way to say "oh yes....I agree with that"

Yes, but the argument is do we need pointless I agree with thats for no other reason, when its irrelevant to the original topic

theremery wrote:The English language is evolving.....the dinosaurs that go for "no change" will go the same way as the previous generation of dinosaurs. The next generation will determine this (as they are starting to already) and NOTHING we do will slow it down much (I'm old).

And I'm young - and I don't think that the way we treat the english language needs to be changed - while freehand and shorthand is all fine and good for applicable circumstances, I really don't want to be reading a book were condensation is condensed into a jarring and harsh form that ruins the work. The alternative, as I can see it, is reading shakespeare
Why not post a page of campy bikes?....heaven forbid.....it may actually in l33t speak - if I may quote Sonnet 110:

4l4$, '71$ 7r|_|3 3Y3 h4v3 g0n3 h3r3 4nd 7h3r3 4nd m4d3 my$3lf 4 m07l34 70 d4 v13\/\/, g0r3d m1n3 0\/\/n0r 7h0|_|gh7$, $0ld ch34p \/\/h47 1$ m0$7 d34r, m4d3 0ld 0ph3nc3$ 0f 4ph3c710n$ n00; m0$7 7r|_|3 17 1$ 7h47 3Y3 h4v3 l00k'd 0n 7r|_|7h 4$k4nc3 4nd $7r4ng3ly: b|_|7, b4 4ll 4b0v3, 7h3$3 bl3nch3$ g4v3 m4 h34r7 4n07h3r j007h, 4nd \/\/0r$3 3$$4y$ pr0v3d 7h33 m4 b3$7 0f l0v3. n0\/\/ 4ll 1$ d0n3, h4v3 \/\/h47 $h4ll h4v3 n0 3nd: m1n3 4pp37173 3Y3 n3v3r m0r3 \/\/1ll gr1nd 0n n003r pr00ph, 70 7r4 4n 0ld3r phr13nd, 4 g0d 1n l0v3, 70 \/\/h0m 3Y3 4m c0nph1n3d. 7h3n g1v3 m3 \/\/3lc0m3, n3x7 m4 h34v3n d4 b3$7, 3v3n 70 7h4 p|_|r3 4nd m0$7 m0$7 l0v1ng br34$7.

Yeah, that speaks to me alright, that speaks to me deeeeeeep man! (What, should I throw in some more cliched catchphrases, like Cowabunga!) :roll:

As I was saying, shorthand, freehand, whatever you want to call it, is essentially a bastardization of the English language to suit the means of communication involved. For text messages, fine, go for it, but here, in this format, we are not limited to the boundaries of the SMS format, nor by time, so how about we all take the propounded 'chill pill' and take the time to do stuff properly. Some people argue that shorthand is the way of the future, that it is just another progression of the evolution of the english language. If you look at the way the english language has evolved over the years, then this, by comparison of scale, is a cancerous growth. It is, in nature, perfidy, not the logical step that it is being propounded as.

Do I see the english language changing? Yes, I do, but I hope I'll be in my cold hard grave before I see the worlds language being condensed into a form which is, in my eyes, pure drivel.

Oh yeah - and about searching - how, do you propose, would people be able to search through a database of shorthand posts and articles - there is no common phraseology, especially for the more complicated and complex uses of the written form, so how, may I ask, would such a thing work?

Edit: One more thing. It used to be common around here to ask people to respect the fact that not everyone speaks english natively, or even regurarily - would it not be unfair for them to be subjected to a further layer of complication, where each word needs not only to be understood but translated and comprehended as well.

Sorry Cyco, recently I've been keeping the length of my posts down so you don't drift off to sleep halfway through, but I couldn't help myself :P

theremery

by theremery

Interesting.
I wasn't neccesarily saying that searching was good (though a certain amount would be common good manners before asking questions)...I think you can get a lot of info by asking (tho I search first).
I fully get what you are saying re. how hopeless a search would be if shortened phrases/clipping/txt speak was used. agreed
re. the +1
I should have made myself more clear. The context I think it works well in is like: What is your favourite pedal?
1st reply is Eggys.
+1
(very easy to understand, I'd say...even more so for speakers of English as a second laguage)
I'm not sure what you mean re. the campy bikes (it still makes sense to me to collect them in one page/post if there is interest)
...but on the topic of the bard......have you read his script in original form? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com