Posting styles

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

theremery wrote:...but on the topic of the bard......have you read his script in original form? :wink:

I think I've read about 75% of the sonnets (oh god, the pain...actually, I liked alot of it), and have written a few poems in sonnet form and a few sonnets for a project that turned into a modern continuation of Shakespeare's sequence - pretty much a bastardisation :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

theremery

by theremery

skill dude....poems? sonnets? you lose your Aus card if you say such things! [i've entered you in the "don't let this aus dude in here " kiwi data base. Reason:far too arty*]
Re the reading...I was more refering to fayre (fair) and other such interesting spellings used in the olde days. I know whats-his-name with the dictionary (johnston?) standardised a great deal of it, but that sorta goes to what I was saying about it evolving. The next (logical) step would be to kill off all the silling spellings with silent letters (oesophagus come to mind...tho some silent letters are required to destinguish between other similar sounding words) and continue the trend to replace ph with f (sulfur:sulphur) etc.
I believe it really is only a matter of time until phonetic sounds of numbers are replaced by digits within the word and more phonetics** are used (e.g. 2moro). The 10-15 year olds of today will make the move in about 25+years when they become the keepers of the culture. I'll quietly shuffle along on the replacement for a zimmer frame....and not get too upset about it. :wink:

* the #1 reason for denial of entry (next to "did not bring his own sheep")
**note the irony. phonetics is not phonetically spelled.

baaaaaa :wink:
-geoff
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

theremery wrote:skill dude....poems? sonnets? you lose your Aus card if you say such things! [i've entered you in the "don't let this aus dude in here " kiwi data base. Reason:far too arty*]
Re the reading...I was more refering to fayre (fair) and other such interesting spellings used in the olde days. I know whats-his-name with the dictionary (johnston?) standardised a great deal of it, but that sorta goes to what I was saying about it evolving. The next (logical) step would be to kill off all the silling spellings with silent letters (oesophagus come to mind...tho some silent letters are required to destinguish between other similar sounding words) and continue the trend to replace ph with f (sulfur:sulphur) etc.
I believe it really is only a matter of time until phonetic sounds of numbers are replaced by digits within the word and more phonetics** are used (e.g. 2moro). The 10-15 year olds of today will make the move in about 25+years when they become the keepers of the culture. I'll quietly shuffle along on the replacement for a zimmer frame....and not get too upset about it. :wink:

* the #1 reason for denial of entry (next to "did not bring his own sheep")
**note the irony. phonetics is not phonetically spelled.

baaaaaa :wink:
-geoff

Mate, I've already been and gone, I was in NZ a few years ago staying with some cousins/relaitves that we don't acknowledge as relatives, because, well, its embarasing to say we're related to a sheep lover. That, and their about 3 times removed or something, which makes them convenient soley for using to crash and to steal beds from their kids.

theremery

by theremery

we only love the cute ones :wink:

[the ugly ones get exported to aus]
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

theremery wrote:we only love the cute ones :wink:

[the ugly ones get exported to aus]

With my need to shave at the moment, I'd have to agree :)...I wondered why new zealand's airports were so easy to get through on the way out :roll:

On topic a bit: I think the search search thing has gone a bit out of control, while, new posters and consistantly lazy posters do need to search before posting an overlap, but when a member like Felix0r has to apologise for bringing new news, just in case....it just seemed to me it was a bit out of control

theremery

by theremery

good comment.