Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:32 pm 

Many people dump too large pictures on the forum. In the rules is clearly state the max size but many are not aware. Too large pics deform topics. Maybe the webmaster can implement a way to make it impossible to exceed the size.

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:32 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:54 am 

Or update the software so the images are scaled down like every other forum on teh interwebs does since at least 10 years

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:21 pm 

I find inline images very instructive sometimes but ... always annoying when too big.

I prefer attached pictures, limited to 160KiB and in thumbnails at the end of the post. You can open them in another window/tab. Moreover, they're stored in the forum, cannot become a broken-link.

This tend to shorten the speech and height of the posts. They are far more readable this way.

I don't like the scale down process suggestion. It loads the same amount of data just to eventually reduce the picture size (not the file size). The load time is not changed, if not made longer by processing many reductions to display for the browser.

Recent forum management softwares are able to read the dimensions from an image included using the [Img] tag. And may check and validate them when submitting our posts/replies.

It may add some time to format our posts, forcing us to download big original pictures that are not ours and not in line with forum policy, reframe them to a accepted canvas then use the Img tag on them. But it's for the right cause. Forcing us to spend some time on content readabilty and lower the number of "post-and-runs".

There's compromise to find : I found very usefull replies on badly written and formatted posts. Sometimes tech savvy don't care about the form but just go to the point, with hands in grease.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:27 am 

Can we do something about half-screen sized signature while we're at it. stk57's is absurd.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:30 am 

stk57 wrote:
loads the same amount of data just

It's not 1997 anymore and we're not on 28.8 modems - every page with banner ads loads more data than a few inline images contain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:24 am 

Marin wrote:
It's not 1997 anymore and we're not on 28.8 modems - every page with banner ads loads more data than a few inline images contain.
:idea: Nice way of thinking ... Probably a little too paradoxical coming from a WW member, isn't it ? :noidea:

You didn't know that fast loading times can make the world nicer, did you ?

As a computer guy since the 14.4 bauds modems era (pre-90'):
- A bit of data from 1997 has the same weight in 2016. Let's stop using JPEG/MPEG or any compression algorithms anymore, just to bench our fiber lines, yeah ?
- If it's useless, don't use it. Displaying +16MB APN photos in a reduced 640x480 HTML frame inside a page is a total waste and crime of high treason. (and kills millions of trees and kitties around the globe each year)
- If a software/page is slow to load, I try to find out why and then optimize it's content. Not by adding CPU task-force, RAM modules or buying a new DSL modem or subscription (and offer it to every member of the community here, or do they have already the same ├╝ber-DSL modems/subscriptions ?).
- A supra-speed loading time is never fast enough. With ads in 1997 & 2016, so much Internet progress made between the two eras, why are some pages still so slow to display today on our top computers and modems ?
- Are all web-designers on the same level of competence and dedication ? Not in my class of '94, not at work today and tomorrow.
- WW forums comes without any (unnecessary) banners or ads, so your point was not even valid from the start.

But if anything can be optimized on the forum pages, it's the weight of pictures vs. the rest which is text, links, meta-data and javascript. Why would we add some useless weight or process on those pages ? That weight can much more than the text data. We trim useless parts and grams from our bikes everyday, every post here ...

It's sort of a worldwide community. Don't think looking down just at your feet ... or your Internet situation.

By the way, don't you check your WW posts/replies behind concrete walls, under tunnels or inside a rock-cave on a MTB ride with a bad phone signal and low battery ?!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:25 am 

Tldr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:29 pm 

stk57 try to find balance in the things related to a forum instead of stucking to a picture size rant
You totaly forget the visual aspect. The forum doesn't become more attractive with only thumbnails. :roll:
The forum is nicer with normal size pictures. Pictures is one of the elements that makes a forum. So no only thumbnailsor links only and no oversized pictures but a max size that keeps the forum in normal shape. Balance is the key.

I know forums where the size is auto adjusted and when the size is exeeding the max allowed size, a message apperas with it telling the poster. The size of this image exceed the max size allowed on this forum. (or similar text) So the poster becomes aware and hopefully next time he post an image he will adjust it first himself.

You refer proudly to your IT study, well Best Practices is a known way and very effective way to show what to do and what better not to follow. A look on other fora and see what works and what not gives you many hints what can be optimized on forums like WW.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:49 am 

BRM wrote:
hopefully next time he post an image he will adjust it first himself

You bet he will.

Although, my IT experience tells me other : If it's not checked by software, it sure won't be by the lambda user. :smartass:

And I guess there's not enough lambda users on this amateurs forum: I see there's not yet a lot of your rants about their behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:22 pm 

I don't make rants.
I make people aware and give advice.

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 pm 
Administrator

After reading this, I think it is quite easy. We probably can make the pictures in the forum auto adjust in size, but in the mean time...

We need your (yep, I mean you as well, reader.) help. When a picture is tooooo BIG, simply click on the exlamation mark and let us know that something is wrong with the post. We will then go in as soon as we can and adjust things.
(oh, there is a rule that states that pics can only be x large.)

@marktwain, the half screen signature is altered as well. Thanks for pointing it out.

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:17 pm