Adding weight with for sale posts.

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Hopefully this is the correct thread, but since the site has "Weight" in its title, maybe we could place a suggestion in the For Sale rules that the poster include the actual WEIGHT of the item, or at least provide a link to it?
Most sellers try to do this, but I'm getting tired of having to PM quite a few sellers of late solely to get this basic information.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

That is indeed a good idea. Need to implement that.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

If a buyer is looking for something light, shouldn't he/she already have an idea of what the part in consideration weighs? Not all have a scale I think, and for some components weight might not be a concern.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Since pics are already required (good move!), why not get a pic with the part on a scale or at the very least a notation of its weight. Too bad manuf's websites are often erroneous (see how I didn't throw them under the bus for gaming their weights and sometimes just plain old lying?!), so a link isn't a solid option.

For what it's worth, I support a pic of the part on a scale. A written notation in the post would work for me, too.

@upfromone - great suggestion.

Happy new year, Weenies!
Ride strong.

thewatchtech

by thewatchtech

I have always hoped that sellers would post weights as a routine practice. It's seems like common sense to me since this site is mostly (all?) about saving weight on bikes & bike parts. However, I wouldn't go so far as require sellers to list the weight or post a pic of the item on a scale.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Happy 2014!

I wasn't calling for an absolute requirement, but at least a formal encouragement in The Rules to post weights.

I concur that the manufacturer's claimed weight is often useless, and I dislike having to go do research esp. on an esoteric part. And I've actually had PM replies to weight inquiries with "no idea"(!) - that's fine if you don't know, but the chances of me buying that part get a whole lot less.

Not that weight is the be-all & end-all, but it's certainly a substantial factor in our trading decisions.

Anders

by Anders

As an engineer I would then require a accredited calibration certificate for the weight used :-)

What I mean to say is that you can cheat if you want to though I don't think it will happen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bazmac

by bazmac

I am new here and agree that to see the item for sale with a picture of it on the scales helps make your choice easier.

Cheers
baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk