Adding weight with for sale posts.

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Hopefully this is the correct thread, but since the site has "Weight" in its title, maybe we could place a suggestion in the For Sale rules that the poster include the actual WEIGHT of the item, or at least provide a link to it?
Most sellers try to do this, but I'm getting tired of having to PM quite a few sellers of late solely to get this basic information.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

That is indeed a good idea. Need to implement that.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

If a buyer is looking for something light, shouldn't he/she already have an idea of what the part in consideration weighs? Not all have a scale I think, and for some components weight might not be a concern.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Since pics are already required (good move!), why not get a pic with the part on a scale or at the very least a notation of its weight. Too bad manuf's websites are often erroneous (see how I didn't throw them under the bus for gaming their weights and sometimes just plain old lying?!), so a link isn't a solid option.

For what it's worth, I support a pic of the part on a scale. A written notation in the post would work for me, too.

@upfromone - great suggestion.

Happy new year, Weenies!
Ride strong.

thewatchtech

by thewatchtech

I have always hoped that sellers would post weights as a routine practice. It's seems like common sense to me since this site is mostly (all?) about saving weight on bikes & bike parts. However, I wouldn't go so far as require sellers to list the weight or post a pic of the item on a scale.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Happy 2014!

I wasn't calling for an absolute requirement, but at least a formal encouragement in The Rules to post weights.

I concur that the manufacturer's claimed weight is often useless, and I dislike having to go do research esp. on an esoteric part. And I've actually had PM replies to weight inquiries with "no idea"(!) - that's fine if you don't know, but the chances of me buying that part get a whole lot less.

Not that weight is the be-all & end-all, but it's certainly a substantial factor in our trading decisions.

Anders

by Anders

As an engineer I would then require a accredited calibration certificate for the weight used :-)

What I mean to say is that you can cheat if you want to though I don't think it will happen.

bazmac

by bazmac

I am new here and agree that to see the item for sale with a picture of it on the scales helps make your choice easier.

Cheers
baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com