Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 pm 

What was this built for?
This was one of Fairwheel's Interbike display bikes in 2013. After a long time lusting after these, I jumped the chance to have Rob build me a custom bike. I don't race anymore but at the time I was into double centuries in the mountains and I was dreaming of an efficient means for some ambitious 30,000' "Everest days". (Haha, says reality snickering at me.)

Why are you selling it?
My wife and I are getting the smackdown as the parents of a rambunctious, curious, high-needs toddler. So cycling is out, along with sleep and any semblance of leisure or peace and quiet. I really underestimated this whole gig and it doesn't look to change any time soon. It kills me to have a new bike this nice just sitting here.

You can't adjust anything. What the?!!
That is true. For me, my seat height has changed only +/- 5mm since 1988, and not at all since settling in with my preferred Speedplays and SLR saddles. I am picturing a buyer close to the ideal bike size who would send the bike to Rob in Oregon to have the stem/steerer piece reconfigured for a different rise and reach.also here is some info from Rob on modifying the frame. This is what he quoted me:

I can build a (adjustable) seatmast cap to allow for more height - cost would be $300 including paint.
For a stem/steerer custom built to size, cost would be $550 including paint.

Rob's geometry page is included here so it can be studied closely. The new owner needs to be sure of his or her size but it doesn't necessarily have to be a clone of mine. It is the 58.5mm TT (on a slack 72deg ST) that is make-or-break here for Cinderella's new slippers. One last thing I wanted to add is that a taller stem from Rob (say a high 120 vs the low 120) will reduce the reach to the bars. Going to 57 or 58cm from tip of saddle to bars wouldn't look weird on here.

How are you selling it? How much?
All the parts are already gone so this is offered as a package with: frame, fork, steerer/stem, Tune headset (rare anniversary titanium Bubu model) and all the Di2 wiring intact. The price for this is $1900 shipped in CONUS with the Parlee derailleur clamp, Di2 charger and seat hardware included. International shipping is available at cost.

The brake bosses are mounted at the exact spec for Dura Ace direct fit as well as EE. The new EE direct mounts would look sweet with the aero cover; here is a pic of those next to the bike:

I am HUGE fan of Rob's design and construction, especially his more over-the-top creative work like on this bike. The carbon head tube insert and seat tube are his take-no-prisoners race bike touches. And to this day I've never seen a more integrated 9000 Di2 build -- there is only a couple inches of exposed housing and wiring. The stock internal battery went in the seat tube and the junction box is under the seat and can be charged without removing anything.

It is very individual this build, perhaps to a fault. Some of you may not like the integrated skewer nuts, but I always thought that was a fairly ignorable detail in contrast to the much more significant things going on here. But yes..gasp.. you do have to carry a 5mm allen wrench when riding this bike. It is the fork and integrated stem/steerer/Di2 port design that I find really clever, and this front end module weighs just 870g total in spite of being all steel. Actual weight is 14.2lbs as shown without pedals.

Condition is like new with one seat stay chip from shipping, and it has seen only 2-3 river path rides on it for <50 miles. What a shame right? I noticed since my kid was born I still haven't amassed enough jerseys and bibs in the laundry to do even a single load of cycling clothes. It is really a shame how badly cycling has vanished from my life in 3 years but hey. Maybe it's payback.. Were we all perfectly easy kids ourselves? I'm sure I wasn't.

One thing to note is that Rob has a very long and ever-growing multi-year wait list. He deserves all his success as he was a delight to work with from start to finish. And in my opinion this is one of his best ones he has built, especially among not-for-himself bikes. So someone here can grab a bargain, this is all being sold at more than 60% off the new price with the hopes of finding a good home. This is a great opportunity to own a very special bike.

More pics:

More:
http://www.englishcycles.com/custombikes/fairwheel-bikes-v3-di2

photo album

Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 pm