Tubular driven direction

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Romano

by Romano

I heard from a bike mecanic that for rear wheels the best way to stick tubulars is on the opposite direction than front one !!!

:!: We can notice that for Michelin Jet tires there is an arrow for front wheel and an other (on the other side) for rear one.
So why not for tubulars ? even if it is not specified on manual...

What do you think of that ???

Thanks for your help.

Romano.... :D
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/

Live to ride, ride to live...

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i mount every rear wheel tubular opposite way, because the grip while pedalling is better. i don't know if the difference is that big, maybe it's just a spleen of me or i think grip is better. theoretically the rolling resistance is a bit higher though(most likely feelable on road).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

I'm also for mounting the rear tub the 'wrong' way. I have a feeling it gives more grip when accelerating or riding in loose sand etc. It also depends a bit on the tubular you are using, but most have a bit of a v-shaped thread. For these (IMO) it makes a difference in the rear. On tubs with diamond thread it doesn't make a difference, so I just mount them with the decals on the chainside.
I have heard people who have different set's of wheels with the same tubs mounted both 'wrong' and 'right' that say it make's a difference on certain tracks, but I never was that obsessed with it.

Romano

by Romano

thanks for your opinions.
:D
i only have to make many tests :wink:

Of course that is a detail but I pesonnally think that in a so technic sport and of course at a high level each details are important.
http://www.rouesartisanales.com/

Live to ride, ride to live...

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i bought the new tour magazine today there is a story about some cyclocross racers. hanka kupfernagel has both front and rear wheel mounted the other way round...but i don't think that serves much, they rather mounted the front wheel the wrong way...