Crank Bros 4Ti usage issues

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vcnz

by vcnz

I tried to switch on 4Ti for weight saving but it didn't work.

Every time I've to clip in it's a lottery, it takes too long to catch the pedal in the right position.
Even worst, if I miss the clip and keep pushing, chances are the pedal turns underneath the sole. I was killing myself
in a few situations, I also broke a saddle for that.

Needless to say, I switched back on spd after a couple of races and the 4Ti are collecting dust in the garage.

I used 4Ti for a couple of MTB seasons years ago, but I'm not able to use them in CX

Does anybody use Crank B. pedals without any issue ?

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I have used egg beaters for cross for 2 seasons now without problems. Not as good to clock in/out as spd but alot lighter and better in thick mud than spd.

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simonj

by simonj

I agree with the OP.

I switched to Eggbeaters for the last two races this season. I had a lot of trouble finding the sweet spot of the pedal on a few occasions. That said, I'm keeping them because my M520's got jammed up with the slightest bit of mud. I'd rather have pedals that take a tad longer to clip in, then not clip in at all.

I'm sure its just a matter of adjusting my muscle memory.

5shot

by 5shot

I've been using Egg Beaters for cyclocross since they were first introduced. For me, they are the perfect 'cross pedal for several reasons: they shed mud extremely well; they are easy and fast to click back into after dismounts; naturally light weight; and easy to service.

I don't know if this is an issue for the OP but right before the start of the 2011 'cross racing season, I bought a new pair of Sidi Dominator 5 shoes. At fist, it was difficult to clip into the egg beaters with the new shoes because of where the treads were. After a week of so of riding every day with a lot of dismounts and re-mounts for 'cross training, the bottom of the shoes "wore in" and the difficulty clipping in went away.