Cannondale Super X vs. everything else.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

limba

by limba

My small list of bikes I'm interested in are the Super X and the Ibis Hakkalugi. Ridley, Kona, Specialized, Scott, Trek/Fisher and Raleigh are available locally but no stores stock these bikes for a demo ride. This would be my do everything bike, ridden hard and raced next year.
Has anyone ridden the Super X and not liked it or preferred something else? Are there any negatives to the Super X?

xcfisher

by xcfisher

I have 2 Super-X bikes. One is built as a single-speed, the other with Di2. I have ridden all of Cannondale's Cross offerings, and while fit wise, the Caad CX of 2010 was my favorite, the Super-X is a better bike. It is much lighter, handles well (especially up front - much greater rigidity and no brake chatter in comparison to the old model) My only gripe is the sizing. The standover isn't as good as with the Caad, and I'm in between sizing. I currently have the 52, I rode a 50 in the Caad. It's slightly too big. I've had the Super-X Since August of 2010, and I haven't had a single problem with it. In my (somewhat biased) opinion, it is the best professional level cyclocross frame for the money. Both from a value, and a technological standpoint. (bb30, tapered headtube, fork, and frame layup)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boralb

by Boralb

Happy to hear them from an experienced rider, like you... Can you share your '12 superx picture too?
I hope i'll enjoy my superx too..

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

@xcfisher - does your opinion extend to the non-HI-MOD version (aka, black and white)?

xcfisher

by xcfisher

@xcfisher - does your opinion extend to the non-HI-MOD version (aka, black and white)?

Yes - the basic concept of the frame is the same. My experience with Hi-Mod vs. non Hi-Mod (road, CX or otherwise) has led me to believe it has more to do with weight, and not with ride quality. Especially with a CX bike, unless your a VERY picky rider, I highly doubt 10/100 people would be able to tell the difference aside from looking at the scale.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Do Cannondale sell just the frameset? Any idea how much they retail at? I've got a load of Centaur lying around that would love to meet that frame!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

andyp

by andyp

bikewithnoname wrote:Do Cannondale sell just the frameset? Any idea how much they retail at? I've got a load of Centaur lying around that would love to meet that frame!

Cannondale don't sell the frame and forks separately in Europe. What size are you after? I know of a 2012 frame and forks for sale.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Probably 56 or 58, I'll try to get a test ride in before I bite the bullet
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

andyp

by andyp

I'm about to list a 56 on eBay.

They come up big, which is part of the reason I'm selling it, especially the head tube height.

cswi9367

by cswi9367

ive got 2 super x myself. both build sram red, 303tubular, shorty ultimate, one with SRM, and both with zipp bar/stem combo. They ride great. i have nothing to say about positives for the ride quality. The only complaints i have is the cable routing. the routing is poor in my opinion. i would run full housing down the rear seat stay for the rear derailleur. Also, for the rear brake it would be nice to be internal or somehwere other than the top tube. Other than that, the bike is incredible.

limba

by limba

Does anyone know if the Super X Red front derailleur has been modified to a steel cage (the pros do that for better shifting in the mud) or if it's the regular titanium cage?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com