CX race bike options

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

teakay

by teakay

I am currently thinking of getting a CX bike while it mainly be for racing (particularly some off road multisport races where CX have an advantage over MTB's). I would also use the bike as a winter trainer on the road.

Currently I have been looking at the Focus Mares CX3, Cannondale Caadx, Specialized Crux Elite, and the Cube range. Any opinions on these bikes. It looks like the Specialized has a good frame but perhaps not the greatest spec - I would prefer 10 speed as I have more 10 speed cassettes/wheels around. The Caad x bikes seem to have a less race orientated geometry than the Super X range but otherwise look good. The Mares has a Carbon frame though not sure if this is an advantage or not for CX.

There is also the new Planet X carbon Disk cross frame though they are not yet selling it as a complete bike.

Any opinions or alternatives greatly recieved.

dcj9

by dcj9

am looking at the same makes as you. also in the mix for me is the boardman team cx with disc brakes.

i test rode a caadx with 105 components last week. felt ok and very stable.
i think the boardman is unbeatable for the price for spec but in the UK it is halfords only :shock:
however, its at least £100 cheaper than the cannondale.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Check out Kona too.

Frans

by Frans

Mares bikes bizarre geometry-wise: they have nice low 70mm-drop BBs which is appealing b/c I'm tentative in corners. But the HTs are super-mini - the size I need with the 556mm TT has a 125mm HT which is a joke, I ride a 56cm Cervelo with a 160mm HT and I need 1.5cms of spacers below that. Even the fork length diff of 370mm vs 400mm doesn't make this a road-like size.

I don't know what they were trying to do? As a result many guys run up-turned stems.

The Kona Scandium frames are ridden with great gusto by many guys I see. The new Jake with the 1.5" lower bearing are seldom seen, but 1 guy is leading the series with a std 105 equipped Jake with Alu frame - although he runs Reflexes with Dugasts.

gemm

by gemm

I'm super happy with my 2012 Mares CX. I took the ultegra off it and swapped to Campy - wanted it for the frame/fork only!

I wish it had a taller headtube (i'm 'leggy') but with a taller bearing camp and spacer and flipped stem had no problem getting it to fit me. The fork is TALL. And for the first time ever - no shudder on Frogleggs.

TerribleCadence

by TerribleCadence

Be sure to check out Scott, Felt and Blues range also.
FELT AR0 Now sold.
CAAD10 Force 22, Quarq, Ksyrium SLR
LOOK 695 Light, Force22, Zipp 303.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com