Cannondale SuperX vs. FELT F4X

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

All,

I have been loving my first season of CX racing, and I feel justified in getting a proper CX rig. I came across two intriguing bike: the SuperX (Ultegra) and the F4X. I cannot speak about the actual feel of each bike, but on paper the specs look the same in terms of equipment (assuming little difference between the FSA Energy and Gossamer cranks). The FELT has a larger taper difference, but both bikes utilize BB30 systems. Am I crazy to think the FELT is the way to go?

For the record, I am more than open to other suggestions :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boralb

by Boralb

The Superx ultegra is 1kg lighter than Felt F4X, if weight is important for you. (8.1kg vs 9.09kg)

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

Being a WW in training, then yes that is a significant weight difference :shock:

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

i don't know exactly wich model it is, but a friend has some new felt cross bikes. they are cool, but have not much room in the seatstay/rear brake area. he said he couldn't mount shorty ultimates, and they had to dremel the trp pad holders to actually be able to take a rear wheel out of the frame. little detail, but maybe something to consider...

limba

by limba

I'd take the Cannondale over the Felt. More suggestions?

The Raleigh looks bad ass http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/cyclocross/rxc-pro-12/

Ibis Hakkalugi http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/hakkalugi/

Kona Major Jake http://www.konaworld.com/cx.cfm?content=major_jake

If I buy a new bike in 2012 it will be the Cannondale Red or the Hakka.

crosschained

by crosschained

Hey just a heads up BB30 is not the way to go! Unless you intend to only race your cross bike on sunny dry days or you like replacing bottom brackets don't buy any cross bike with a BB30. My cross bike this season has one and I can't wait to get my new non BB30 frame for next season.

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

I bought a 2011 Felt just before the CX season. Low bottom bracket and shorter wheelbase, it's a great racer. Unfortunately the mud clearance is awful in the rear- I did a race on Sunday with two sticky patches and the rear clogged up in about 20 minutes. It's also tough to get the front wheel out with my pads toed in slightly, I can imagine the rear could be a problem too.

BB30 on a cx bike shouldn't be much of a problem. Anyone should be able to remove their crank every so often, pop the seals on their bearings and re-grease them. As long as you don't ride too long on sandy bearings you'll be better than new. That being said, I haven't had to touch mine this season yet.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Mitch, you should have raced on Saturday then. The mud was worse and all that grass just made everything clog up

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

Thanks for all the inputs - experiences, recommendations, and all the rest!

I have the chance is to pick up a slightly used 2012 SuperX from a friend. He is the assisted manager at the bike shop and is looking to get the HI-MOD. I have no doubt the bike is a "demo" and will be sold as that. :wink:

I'm glad the BB30 topic came up as I am weary of it on a CX bike. I have had mixed experiences with BB30 based on manufacturers. I guess it comes down to the shields/covers. I believe the SuperX will come with the FSA SL-K BB30.

The Ibis Hakkalügi looks very nice, but the geometry has me a little worried.

crosschained

by crosschained

Yes pulling your cranks and dust covers is a quick fix on the bb30 bearings. But not a great fix and a real pain if you race in mud a bunch. Out board bearings last longer. I have replaced tons of customers bb30s this season already.

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

@crosschained - do you have a particular frame/manufacturer that you would recommend? If yes, I encourage you to do so. I am hear to learn and hear all options so that I am confident in my decision.

Edit for additional question - would a PPBB30 offer better protection from the elements?

ahumblecycler

by ahumblecycler

Another thing just for fun ... What about the Specialized CruX E5 OSBB frame/fork? I know it is not carbon so it will be rougher than the Cannondale (this conclusion is based on what I keep reading about the SuperX).
Last edited by ahumblecycler on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crosschained

by crosschained

So I am looking at getting a Bianchi Cavaria for next year. I know it does not have a tapered front end like the Cannondale or Felt. Last season I was on a 2010 Felt f15x Alum/ Carbon bike and was not impressed by the ride. This year I am on a Kona Major Jake. Really the only issue I have with the Major is the bottom bracket.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

@crosschained - You do realise that bearing shields are basically the same on outboard cups and press fits bearings?