CX Shoes

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

Quick question:
Any advice for CX shoes, I have large feet 11 1/2 (46-47)
I know that it will be largely down to personal choice but are there any brands/models to avoid, that are extra good, what should I look for, what should I look out for
Any advice gratefully received
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tri

by tri

Something with a wide heel "big" base. So that you can walk and run in them without twisting your ankles. Something my old Sidis didn't have.

Something other that I myself like on a shoe is the BOA-lacing system. I you want brands I'd check out Specialized, Lake and Scott.

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Also avoid super rigid carbon soles, as they're hard to run in, especially up steps / hill. I've had good luck with the mid - level Shimano shoes (M 150 I think) over the last few years.

Enda Marron

by Enda Marron

I bought a pair of Mavic Razors, I got them at a great price in a LBS (not Chain Reaction!!) but not my LBS as he did not have any in my size.
The shoes are a "tidy fit" with a double pair.
I hope that they meet with approval
Thanks for the advice :beerchug:

mcatano

by mcatano

I just bought the giro gauge shoes, and I'm quite happy with them so far. They have a fairly stiff easton ec70 carbon sole which puts it one step below the code shoe, which has the ec90 sole. They fit slightly wider than my old sidi dominators and I like the increased stiffness. There's not a lot of running in Chicago-area courses, so I haven't felt disadvantaged for not having more flex in the sole. That said, giro is coming out with a less expensive model - the privateer - which looks like it'd be a great choice for cx.

I have a pair of the adidas razors, which look almost identical to the mavic version and while they're great commuting shoes I found the soles way too flexy for my tastes.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I love my Mavic Fury. The sole is stiff enough for riding, but soft enough to run. I have had my current pair for 3 seasons. Can probably go another season or two before buying a new pari

I also had shimano m225s. I did not like them as much. They are heavy and feel very large and clunky.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

+ 1 on Mavic Fury. They are light, have a soft and roomy toe box and I find them comfortable/stable to run in. Work great with XTR SPDs.

The yellow ones clean up like new if you spray them with citrus degreaser and power wash them off.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com