Cross with lightweights!!

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Boogie

by Boogie

Looking good;)
Attachments
lightweight.jpg

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Off course this is possible. Where was it?? Who was riding this bike? Heule?

I saw in the Lightweight catalogue that LW Standard can easily be used for cyclocross!

I was at the CarbonSports "Open day" last Saturday: they invited a trial guy to do some stunt work (jumping up a podium) on LW Obermayers. 8) These wheels are damn strong!!

Note Richard Groenendaal crossed on ADA's before.
Attachments
this is the guy, talking with Jorg Ludewig
this is the guy, talking with Jorg Ludewig
he used this bike for jumping around :)
he used this bike for jumping around :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

that's malte urban's bike, the pis is probably from the race in harderwijk last saturday. using them in harderwijk would have been pretty stupid because of the strong wind and many corners.
i once used heule's lightweight for world championships(pontchateau 04), where it was really windy. after the start i crashed and my bike got in the air and never came back because the wind took the bike like there was a sail...the wheels didn't bring me much there exept of motivation, of course.

Boogie

by Boogie

Yes it was Saturday in Harderwijk.. More pics will be follow!

Boonen

by Boonen

C a s r a n wrote:Note Richard Groenendaal crossed on ADA's before.

Untill he broke a front wheel jumping on an obstacle...
I remember him selling some ADA wheels 4-5 years ago. I don't know why, maybe he didn't like them or maybe the team forced him to ride antara's (fir was Rabobanks wheelsponsor for a long time)
I met a guy who bought one of these sets, but they where flexy! Nothing like a LW. (but more expensive)

OCCP
in the industry

by OCCP

Thats the bike of german ex-champion Malte Urban.
See the name on the toptube.

Müsing

by Müsing

what brakes uses Malte on his Stevens?

OCCP
in the industry

by OCCP

Thats Tektro Oryx Canti-Brakes.........
Malte used this brakes also the last years.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Boonen wrote:
C a s r a n wrote:Note Richard Groenendaal crossed on ADA's before.

Untill he broke a front wheel jumping on an obstacle...
I remember him selling some ADA wheels 4-5 years ago. I don't know why, maybe he didn't like them or maybe the team forced him to ride antara's (fir was Rabobanks wheelsponsor for a long time)
I met a guy who bought one of these sets, but they where flexy! Nothing like a LW. (but more expensive)

I hear these things about ADA more and more! :evil:

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

what Tubs are those on the lightweights in the first pic? Are they vittoria cross tubs in silver?

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

those are dugast tires all white. first riddenby groenendaal at nommay worldcup 2004, and then many riders used them for the 04 worlds in pontchateau(the lightweights i used there had those tubulars as well). don't quote me for all that, but they're lighter, smoother to ride and off course more expensive(i think more than twice the price of a normal dugast).

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

we're those a special one off for pros? I know dugast makes a lot of special tires, and then has them laying around until they are sold.

Also, has anyone had special dugasts made with a different tread (tire sponsor who doesn't make tubs etc)?

Boonen

by Boonen

Richard at Dugast made these tires special for Groenendaal (but other riders rode these as well) to use at the worlds in Pontchateau as Simon mentioned. They had been down there to test a couple of time's and designed a tire that would fit the course perfectly. On the raceday the circumstances where totally different than what they expected them to be, so there wasn't much benefit in using them anyway. They where developed to be used on fast tracks and AFAIK are sold as Cross Typhoon World Champion tires.

Dan: You can get your own thread glued to a casing by dugast. You would have to provide the thread yourself, but I know different people who have done this with fx. the thread of a green Michelin mud tire.
You can also have the casing replaced on your original tire's when you somehow damaged it or it has gone bad.

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

when they were made, it was thought for the pros, but i think if you ask him, he will sell it to anyone.
it's very common to give him michelin threads(cut the sidewalls away)and he'll glue it onto a tubular. off course this works with any clincher tire(a friend made maxxis-dugasts). the mtb tubulars that frischi and more and more other riders use are made similar, mtb tires glued to tubulars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

To me the ultimate thing would be the Schwalbe Racing Ralph thread (density and knob wise) on a Dugast casing. What an awesome tire!