Looking for a new frame (hurry)

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vcnz

by vcnz

I'm looking for a cx frame/fork for racing.

It is going to replace my broken Ti frame for a while and then I will use it as 2nd bike when my Ti frame is back

I'm considering the following:

Kuota Kross
Kinesis Crosslight Csix

Both seem to be good compromise between lightness/stiffness and in my budget (1100 frame + fork), but I do not have experience of carbon frame in cx
(basically I don't like it)

Kuota Kross frames have been around for a few years and it seems to be pretty reliable (I couldn't find guys having issues with it)
I didin't find complains for Kinesis as well, but it's also much newer
Have you got any feedback on these frames ?

Besides that, I was also looking for a light alu frame, like SantaCruz Stigmata but I can't seem to find it available in EU (I'm a bit hurry) complete with fork (Easton EC90 ?) and
headset

If you have any advice, please let me know

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

PM sent :beerchug:

monty dog

by monty dog

I've been racing a Kuota Kross and now into my third season. Can't really fault it - pretty light but very stiff and direct - I've ridden 100 miles offroad in a day on it but would never categorise it as comfortable. It's taken a few knocks including someone broad-siding me in race when they lost control in the snow. Also managed to tear-off the rear mech hanger in a really muddy race - replacement hangers readily available but I also needed to 'tweak' the hanger plate on the frame as that got bent too.
Just ride

vcnz

by vcnz

monty dog wrote:I've been racing a Kuota Kross and now into my third season. Can't really fault it - pretty light but very stiff and direct - I've ridden 100 miles offroad in a day on it but would never categorise it as comfortable. It's taken a few knocks including someone broad-siding me in race when they lost control in the snow. Also managed to tear-off the rear mech hanger in a really muddy race - replacement hangers readily available but I also needed to 'tweak' the hanger plate on the frame as that got bent too.

Kuota Kross was in my list of preferences but I ended up with a Taiwanese brand frame which is stiffer, lighter and 15% cheaper than the lowest price I found for the Kuota frame
According to reviews I've been reading I should be happy with it, we will see
I post a few pics once done

monty dog

by monty dog

Kuota frames are made by Martek in Taiwan - but how can you qualify that the frame is stiffer? The last thing I'd ever need from the Kuota is more stiffness.
Just ride

vcnz

by vcnz

...for instance a frame with BB30 and tapered fork should be much stiffer. Of course there are other aspect to take into the account, like tubing size, fibers orientation etc, but I assume carbon frames are more or less all the same (s...)

Frans

by Frans

Isn't the Kuota Kross a 3+ year old frame now? They made 1 year on year iteration which was to either put a pulley wheel in for the FD or take it out, can't remember which, but point is it was on that order of magnitude. Apparently the Kross is based on the Karma - hardly a cutting edge frame.

With all the ENVE this and Van Dessel that out on the market, would you not rather go for something bang up to day?

The V.D. F.T.B. looks good b/c the BB is low, the Giant TCX Advanced is just drool worthy. I picked up the only 2 XL versions in the UK (ridden by top Dave Mellor Cycles U23/junior) and they were proper light. The hakkalugi is good value for carbon but has a higher BB. Then there's Stevens (hard to get in the US), Focus (not much better), and of course Ridley which are well distributed.

What i REALLY want to see is when Canyon finally gets on the bandwagon, if they do a frame it will be a blinder!

Any reason to limit yourself to just these 2 choices?

vcnz

by vcnz

Frans wrote:Any reason to limit yourself to just these 2 choices?

price/weight, but I ended up with Trigon frame/fork, it was the cheapest I found locally

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com