Durable tubs

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Colin

by Colin

What are the most thorn resistant/durable tubulars?

I'm currently running Challenge Fango's, and after 7 races, ~150miles of gravel road riding, and a few laps around a mountain bike trail, the back one is almost bald, and has a puncture that will not seal with stans.

Any suggestions? I don't care about "suppleness", as long as it's 33-32mm and not too heavy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Guymk

by Guymk

If you are looking for durability go for tufo tires. I would recommend the Regular Tufo primus. There is also the tufo flexus primus, but that is there higher end tire at $120+ each.

Colin

by Colin

I forgot about tufo's. Besides 50g or so, what's the difference between the primus and flexus primus?

nitropowered

by nitropowered

Fangos have a relatively thin tread.

Grifos will probably last longer.

JBV

by JBV

Colin wrote:I forgot about tufo's. Besides 50g or so, what's the difference between the primus and flexus primus?

Rubber on the Pro level tires is both grippier and seems to last longer, Flexus series have a nicer, thinner, somewhat more supple casing. I have raced the Cubus in both Pro series and Flexus series, and would not pay the extra for the latter.

BTW, I think the Primus is a bit of a waste. It's billed as an "all around" tire, but it's crap in mud because of nob spacing (packs up easily), and it's not really any faster than a Cubus in dry conditions. I'd use the Cubus as an all-conditions tire (in fact, I do).

If you want to spend more money, Clement's new tires are awesome. Super durable (made by Tufo), but really sweet tread patterns. PDX is the best mud tire I've ever ridden, and not so bad in the dry. LAS is a really great file-tread, with substantial side nobs for cornering. They all come in a true 33mm casing as well, so they are UCI legal, but noticeably bigger than Tufo 32's.

Guymk

by Guymk

JBV wrote:
Colin wrote:I forgot about tufo's. Besides 50g or so, what's the difference between the primus and flexus primus?

Rubber on the Pro level tires is both grippier and seems to last longer, Flexus series have a nicer, thinner, somewhat more supple casing. I have raced the Cubus in both Pro series and Flexus series, and would not pay the extra for the latter.

BTW, I think the Primus is a bit of a waste. It's billed as an "all around" tire, but it's crap in mud because of nob spacing (packs up easily), and it's not really any faster than a Cubus in dry conditions. I'd use the Cubus as an all-conditions tire (in fact, I do).

If you want to spend more money, Clement's new tires are awesome. Super durable (made by Tufo), but really sweet tread patterns. PDX is the best mud tire I've ever ridden, and not so bad in the dry. LAS is a really great file-tread, with substantial side nobs for cornering. They all come in a true 33mm casing as well, so they are UCI legal, but noticeably bigger than Tufo 32's.

+1
Definitely consider the Clement pdx tubulars if you are looking to spend some money. I am ordering some of the pdx tubulars in the next few days, and I am really looking forward to trying them out!

Colin

by Colin

The Clements do look nice! Next season those will probably be my tires. Unfortunately a bit out of my price range right now, since i need to order them asap.

Colin

by Colin

Ok, so I just went to remove my rear tire, and I felt a huge lump in my tire. I'm assuming it's the stans, which would make since why it wouldn't seal up. So for my new tub, what's a good sealant to use? Stan's seems to 'ball up' to fast here in Texas.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

I have been using Tufos for several years now. They are very durable. The Flexus version is good. For long training rides on mixed surfaces the primus is good but for racing Cubus is normally better. It is a good allrounder. Rolls okay, good grip on dry grass, sheds mud okay too. Atleast in Europe it is.good value too.

Sent from my MT15i using Tapatalk

JBV

by JBV

Colin wrote:Ok, so I just went to remove my rear tire, and I felt a huge lump in my tire. I'm assuming it's the stans, which would make since why it wouldn't seal up. So for my new tub, what's a good sealant to use? Stan's seems to 'ball up' to fast here in Texas.

Stans works fine for me in NM (drier than TX), I think the trick is to never leave valve stems open, and don't ever let tires go flat. Air getting in there is what causes sealant to congeal. I had a pair of Cubus with a couple ounces of sealant that I rode for 2+ years without any balling up or lack of sealing ability.

A couple guys here have used CaffeLatex and it always balls up pretty quickly. I've used the Tufo sealant and it's been fine, just make sure to use the regular sealant - not the "extreme".

I'm not sure what other options there are.

Colin

by Colin

I think the heat here makes the ammonia in the sealant evaporate quicker, than in colder environments. I guess I'll just use the stan's again, since heat won't be much of an issue for the next 4 or 5 months!

JBV

by JBV

Colin wrote:I think the heat here makes the ammonia in the sealant evaporate quicker, than in colder environments. I guess I'll just use the stan's again, since heat won't be much of an issue for the next 4 or 5 months!

Probably good to try and not leave the wheels in a hot car too regularly either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I had a clump of stans the size of a marble on my Fusion 3 road tubeless setup. Yeah you can keep it pumped up and valves closed, but if you have a leak, it will keep clumping up there.