Tufo tubulars for clincher rims...

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Timo

by Timo

Does anybody ever use these? Does it make sense, are they any good?

http://www.tufo.com/index.php?lg=en&mn=4&id=8

Thanks in advance,
Timo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

the problem is that the tubulars can move on the rim while braking or accelerating, afterwards the valve isn't parallel to the spokes anymore.
to avoid that you can glue the tufo tubular onto the rim, but afterwards you hae a clincher rim smeared with tubular glue and the advantage of fast changing tires is also away. i heard that they're nearly undestroyable, but quite heavy.

topcarbon

by topcarbon

I use them on some racing wheels. I have never experienced a shift in the tire during accellerating or braking. I find they do give a nice tight feel to riding. Very similar to tubulars.

I only find one problem with them: if you train with them and you have a major slice in the tire, you are walking home. The sealant is good for most little thing you would pick up on the road.

They are great on the rollers because you pump them up to 200psi and with some models, not have a lot of wear.

Goes to personal preference and practicality. Roads where I live are crappy so I stick to conventional clinchers for training.

Hope that perspective helps.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Not a fan.

The tread is fabulous, and the tires feel great. My tire shifted and blew out around the valve. There is no possible way to repair this, having tried everything. I'm going to cut it open and try to use it as a clincher, but I wasn't real happy. Got less than 50 miles out of it.

The rear tire lasted all winter.

I would hate to flat on a trail. I would go with good clinchers and a tubular race wheelset, or just 2+ sets of clinchers for racing.

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I trained on a pair for a full season, no issues. I've never had any shifting either. However, the idea of getting a flat that couldn't be fixed with the sealant scared me off of them. Ironically enough, after switching back to clinchers I had a rash of punctures. :evil:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

simon wrote:the problem is that the tubulars can move on the rim while braking or accelerating, afterwards the valve isn't parallel to the spokes anymore.
to avoid that you can glue the tufo tubular onto the rim, but afterwards you hae a clincher rim smeared with tubular glue and the advantage of fast changing tires is also away. i heard that they're nearly undestroyable, but quite heavy.
?????????????????
Take it you haven't used them. I commute 20 miles a day into central London on Ho Composite Carbons with NO movement at all. On the rare occasion that I've flatted they stay put even when ridden flat, unlike a traditional clincher. Absoluteley no need for glue as if they are fitted correctly the friction of the rubber foot on the rim edges is ample.

Timo

by Timo

Thanks all for the useful comments. Ultimobici, you commute on Tufo tubulars for clinchers? Very interesting. What do you do in case of a puncture? Are they easily changed? Do you carry a spare tire with you?

btw, excuse my ignorance but what are "Ho Composite Carbons"?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

If you use sealant they self-seal. Sod's law says if you don't put sealant in you'll be more likely to puncture!
http://www.tufo.com/index.php?lg=en&mn=1&id=41

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Timo wrote:Thanks all for the useful comments. Ultimobici, you commute on Tufo tubulars for clinchers? Very interesting. What do you do in case of a puncture? Are they easily changed? Do you carry a spare tire with you?

btw, excuse my ignorance but what are "Ho Composite Carbons"?

I think he meant the HICC tires - High Composite Carbon. I also used these on the road for a season.

http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tires/special.php?seriesid=23

Timo

by Timo

Ah, that explains! I was only looking for CX tires so I didn't check their other products.

Skyleth

by Skyleth

I just got a set of the Tufo LPS Tubular Clincher tires today... They make alot of sense to me becuase when you're running at a low pressure you won't get a pinch flat... but they are wicked hard to get seated, you have to do this weird mount/shimmy (get tire on rim), inflate a little bit, shimmy (get one side in), deflate, shimmy (get other side), done (reinflate, check work) sort of operation. So far they seem to work wonderfully... we'll really find out at the race tomorow! hehe

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

but they are wicked hard to get seated, you have to do this weird mount/shimmy (get tire on rim), inflate a little bit, shimmy (get one side in), deflate, shimmy (get other side), done (reinflate, check work) sort of operation.
Unless your rims are a strange size they should be easy to seat with no need to inflate and deflate etc. Anyway good luck for your race!

Skyleth

by Skyleth

Tires were fantastic, as were my endo-ing skills

pinky

by pinky

skyleth which race were you at??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skyleth

by Skyleth