Avid Shorty Ultimates with Wide Rims

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmh

by jmh

I'm building up a Specialized CruX frameset with Avid Shorty Ultimates and wheels with Velocity A23 rims. I have read that in the narrow position the Shorty Ultimates do not work with very wide rims like the Zipp 303 (26mm). As I understand it the A23 (at 23mm, go figure) are not quite as wide. Anyone used this combo and had a problem?

Thanks.

dlight

by dlight

I don't have a problem with the loaner 303 I used but will check again. I also ran with the narrow setup front and back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bc sparks

by bc sparks

I don't have any first hand experience, but both Katie Compton and the Cannondale-Cyclocross World team were using Avid shorty ultimate brakes in the narrow profile with zipp 303 wheels.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/p ... eam-28035/

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Running Shorty Ultimates in narrow configuration on Revolution WW 23 mm wide aluminum rims. New build, but so far no problems.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I use HED C2s on my Crux with Shorty Ultimates in wide mode. Helios told me how to do it, but basically you run the brake shoe with the spacers behind the brake arm mount, and not like the directions say. They also make a low profile pad holder.
PM me or Helios if you have any questions.

derekshred

by derekshred

I'm running the narrow Shortys with A23's with absolutely no problems.

jmh

by jmh

I thought I would follow up on this post.

I found that I could use the Major Toms and A23 with the Avid Shorty Ultimate in the narrow profile on the rear of my Crux with no issues. In the front and and in the narrow profile setting with the pads adjusted to the lowest point, I found the brake pads contacted the wider rims a little high, with the pads hitting the rim at an 45 degree angle. I ordered at set of SRAM Rival Brake Pad Holders. I got a much better placement of the pads on the center of the brake track and the pad contacted the rim with the flatter profile.

It looks to me that Ryan Trebon has a similar issue on his Felt in this article. http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/pro-bike-ryan-trebons-felt-f1x-32057

"Ryan Trebon (LTS Felt) has both the front and rear Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes set up in the higher-power position. Road pad holders are used instead of the stock units to better fit the wide-profile Zipp 303 rims"

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

jmh wrote:Image

AHHHHH this is what i neeeeed!!!!

743power
Shop Wrench

by 743power

Avid sells a thinner pad holder setup for zipp type wheels, i think its called shorty ultimate carbon rim pad kit or something along those lines. The road setup works too like you found!
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

yea got the rival shoes in and realized i had the issue in the rear as well!

so i donated a pair of my sram red holders for cross season. Anywho.... flipped the supplied spaces from AVID works ONLY if you run the wide position.

like the way it's supposed to be looking out to in is..... bolt-> adjustable washer-> spacer->avid brake->bigger spacer-> adjustable washer->shoe

in the wide position i was able to accomplish the same thing (without rival shoes) by doing bolt-> adjustable washer-> spacer -> bigger spacer-> avid brake-> adjustable washer-> shoe

but i wanted to run narrow narrow, so needed the rival shoe anyways.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

yup did this mod. WORKS!!!! love it. been looking for this answer for a while too. thanks W-W!

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

So if you all replaced your Shorty Ultimate brake shoes with SRAM Rival shoes, does anyone want to sell me a pair of Shorty Ultimate brake shoes :) ?

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

the_marsbar wrote:So if you all replaced your Shorty Ultimate brake shoes with SRAM Rival shoes, does anyone want to sell me a pair of Shorty Ultimate brake shoes :) ?

yea pretty much i replaced with rival and then realizing the rear needed the same treatment, i just swapped shoes from my red group to the rear for the time being.

i'd trade shorty ultimate brake shoes for some road shoes

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Hmm. I am actually not sure the Avid shoes will fit my TRP carbon brakes. I will have to check.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com