Fango vs. Grifo

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Grifo vs. Fango

Grifo
52%
Fango
28%
Other
20%

Total votes: 25

Colin

by Colin

If you could only have one set of tubs (for now, others may be added later), would you go with the Fango or the Grifo? I've heard quite a few people say that the Fango is faster but with more grip, so I'm not really sure what to choose.

It's usually not muddy here, and when it does rain it's not that muddy. Usually we just have grass and sand..lots of sand.

Also, are the Grifo or Fango 34c UCI legal? I know that they claim to be 34c, but a lot of times tires are actually smaller. And before you mention something about not being in a UCI class, I won't be in a UCI class for most of my races, BUT if I decide to race nats I will be in a UCI class.

tjanson

by tjanson

Fango. Great all-around tire. Rolls faster and has better traction than the Grifo. The Grifo tread is so dated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mobi

by mobi

I would take the Grifo. This is a very good allrounder. The tread of a tire is in my view no so important for bike handling and grip. I often use a pipistrello on muddy courses, which works quite well when the pressure is low enough. The same when using the thypoon which is similar to the grifo tread. Some technical areas are impossible to drive with 2.4 bar and feasible with 2.0 bar.

Lorcatronik

by Lorcatronik

I was actually about to post this same question as our team is sponsored by Challenge and I will have only one set of tubulars for the season. I will have two sets of clinchers to bring along to races so I'm debating what to put on those, and whether one set should have some mud tires, though I've heard a good all around tubular set with a good tread would do just as well when run at a slightly lower pressure. This will be my first year racing cross (NC cyclocross series) and I don't think it will be that muddy from what I've seen).
Also looking for a good set of training clinchers. What's the difference between the Grifo Pro 32 ($40 at AEbike.com) and the Grifo Open Clincher ($64 at AEbike.com)? I'm guessing the Pro uses standard clincher construction and the Open uses the higher thread casing? I figure the Pro might be a more durable training tire.

Anyone want to chime in on what to run on my two clincher sets? Any input appreciated for this noob.

Thanks.

Colin

by Colin

I believe you are correct about the Pro's and Open Tubular's. I would opt for the Pro's for training, myself.

Also, I ended up going for the 32c Fango's based on everything I've been reading and some recommendations from friends. If I really don't like them, or they're really slow rolling I'll buy a Grifo later in the season. (maybe fango front, grifo rear)

ADP

by ADP

This is funny timing, I pretty much have this dilema.

I have 2 sets of wheels, both top end wheels, both the same. I have 1 set that have Rhinos on and that wont change.

In my garage I have a set of Fangos and a set of Grifos and 1 will be glued on. I rode both last year -

Fango - faster in general, corners better

Grifo - better in the mud but I think rolls slower and doesnt corner so well.

Im putting the Fangos on, if its really muddy the Rhinos will be on and as someone else said the Grifo/Typhoon design is really old now, not that that makes it bad, I just think maybe testing of tread patterns has moved things on a little?

The Dugast Pipisqualo is due soo - http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... Pipisqualo

I think this will be a good tread for all but the mudiest races but I still cant get any, due in a few weeks Im told

nitropowered

by nitropowered

The Fango sucks for greasy mud. Lean a bit to the side and you wash out.

All around, its a good tire though.

Colin

by Colin

ADP wrote:This is funny timing, I pretty much have this dilema.

I have 2 sets of wheels, both top end wheels, both the same. I have 1 set that have Rhinos on and that wont change.

In my garage I have a set of Fangos and a set of Grifos and 1 will be glued on. I rode both last year -

Fango - faster in general, corners better

Grifo - better in the mud but I think rolls slower and doesnt corner so well.

Im putting the Fangos on, if its really muddy the Rhinos will be on and as someone else said the Grifo/Typhoon design is really old now, not that that makes it bad, I just think maybe testing of tread patterns has moved things on a little?

The Dugast Pipisqualo is due soo - http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... Pipisqualo

I think this will be a good tread for all but the mudiest races but I still cant get any, due in a few weeks Im told

Glad I got the Fango then! If it gets really bad I can throw on my Rocket Rons on my clincher wheels, they handled the mud decently.
The Pipisqualo is what I really wanted, but I can't afford Dugast tires anyways!

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Fangos blow. I"ve only found them good for hardpack courses. Any moisture or loose over hard and they corner like crap. A grifo is a much better all around tread. However, challenge did a great job and recognized all of the problems people were having with the fango and redesigned it to have taller know height. I bet the new ones (are they out yet?) are a MUCH better tire than the pervious iteration.

I personally like the FMB Grippo XL (old racing ralph tread) much better than either for an all around tire that you can really rail the corners with.

Anything sloppy and I'll be on the new FMB super mud this season.

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Haven't ridden them yet (new build just completed) - guru at the shop recommended Grifo rear and Fango front.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I would recommend the opposite

ldamelio

by ldamelio

Why? Just curious.

nitropowered

by nitropowered

The fango is more or less a fancy file tread with some extra traction. Its a good dry weather tire.

The grifo is a better all around tire and can handle mild mud. The grifo has much better cornering traction. You want a tire with the most grip up front

zariaman

by zariaman

I was at the Bike Planet USGP in Sun Prairie this weekend and 75% of the riders in 35+ were on Grifos.
The same guys had Grifos on the Sunday with crazy 2 inches of mud everywhere, not a good idea, they were slipping everywhere.

Auk

by Auk

zariaman wrote:I was at the Bike Planet USGP in Sun Prairie this weekend and 75% of the riders in 35+ were on Grifos.
The same guys had Grifos on the Sunday with crazy 2 inches of mud everywhere, not a good idea, they were slipping everywhere.

Only a dedicated mud tire like the Rhino, Limus, Racing Ralph, or FMB Super Mud will allow you to not be slipping everywhere in 2" mud. Exceptions to the rule. The OP is looking for the 90% of the time tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com