55.5 cm top tube with 13 cm stem?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bc sparks

by bc sparks

I have raced the last couple of seasons on a frame with a 56 cm top tube and a 12 cm stem and the handling has felt good but I feel like I want to go a little longer. I've been looking at a cross frame with a 55.5 cm top tube, if I put a 13 cm stem with it the tt/stem lenghth will be 0.5 cm longer. How will this effect the handling, will it still be ok, or will I be too far out over the front wheel?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

I say you'd be fine. But what can I say, I have a 54.5 TT and 14cm stem on the roadbike...

B.T.W. the total reach also highly depends on the type of handlebars you're using, some have more reach than others. What are you using?

bc sparks

by bc sparks

Gazelleer wrote:B.T.W. the total reach also highly depends on the type of handlebars you're using, some have more reach than others. What are you using?

I'm using Ritchey Logic WCS II with 82 mm reach.

jmoote

by jmoote

Unless you really need the drop that this size frame allows you (headtube length) I would choose to go up a size. A cross bike that small with a 130 mm stem is not going to handle well IMO, even the 120 mm stem on a cross bike smaller than 58 is questionable in my mind.

I feel that for the best handling the stem to toptube ratio for a cross bike is best kept a bit less than I would normally use on a road bike.

My bikes for reference:
Road has 575 TT, 120 stem
CX has 580 TT, 100 stem (could run 110)

Camilo

by Camilo

Gazelleer wrote:B.T.W. the total reach also highly depends on the type of handlebars you're using, some have more reach than others. What are you using?

Another factor is the seat tube angle. If the smaller frame has a different STA that will also affect the length of stem you need to achieve the fit you're looking for. I know it did on mine.

vcnz

by vcnz

According to my experience, you will handle the bike much better with a shorter stem. 130cm is really too long, better to opt for another frame size

bc sparks

by bc sparks

Thanks for the confirmation. I was thinking it'd be too short, but I could get a really good deal on the smaller frame so I was considering the option. But it sounds like even a longer top tube and shorter stem then what I have been racing will be better.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

Yes, I agree that a bigger frame would be a better choice as well. I run a 140mm stem on my road bike, but much prefer a setup that lets me use a 100mm (110mm max) on my CX bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com