best touring/everyday use frame

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

finnlong

by finnlong

What are peoples opinions on the best touring/everyday use frame/complete bike.
Want to be able to tour but also want to be able to go when i need to.

oneder

by oneder

CX bikes fit that bill pretty well. Do it all geometry, fits nicely between a road and touring bike with the ability to run 23-32/38 tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

CX bikes are good fit, so long as you don't mind messing with cantilever brakes. Otherwise, just look for wide tire clearances and rack/fender mounts. Long chainstays help you from whacking your rear bags with your heel.

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Another vote for CX bikes. My choice is a Kona Jake the Snake... don't know if it is the best touring/commuting frame out there, but it is solid (if a bit heavy) and does its job quite well.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

rustychain

by rustychain

Best??? If you want the best go custom. Independent Fabrication is an option, one of many.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Camilo

by Camilo

I picked up a decent alloy cross frame and set it up as a commuter and am very happy with it. Nice wide tires (I'm using smooth 32mm tires, it could take bigger), fenders and a rack. Very very smooth and comfortable. Although it's 5-6 pounds more than my semi-ww bike but is just as much fun to ride because it's so well suited for its purpose on rough gravel and pavement. Yes the route is hilly too, and I just don't feel the weight penalty as much as I thought I would.

It's kind of nice having a bike where I just put components on it without giving a minute's thought to weight!

Camilo

by Camilo

kulivontot wrote:CX bikes are good fit, so long as you don't mind messing with cantilever brakes. Otherwise, just look for wide tire clearances and rack/fender mounts. Long chainstays help you from whacking your rear bags with your heel.

I'm using V brakes on my CX-commuter type bike. I find them very easy to adjust, fwiw. I've heard there's mud clearance issues (??) with them vs. cantis but I wouldn't know since I just use the bike on gravel roads, light trail use and pavement.

Like he said, there are features that make the frame more suitable for touring and/or commuting, and not all cross frames have them. For example, some more hard core racing frames lack fender/rack eyelets and even water bottle mounting bosses. Those things can be fixed with add-on stuff, P clamps, zip ties, etc. but why not choose one set up for what you want to put on it? There's a lot of excellent options.

psycling

by psycling

What about a Co-Motion Americano? Excellent touring frame that can handle fenders and loads. Would work well as an everyday bike too for hauling stuff around town or just getting to work. As a bonus, custom geometry is available...

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Salsa Ti Fargo is a nice choice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com